LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil cooler problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler problems

ok i'm having the worst day of my life here i just completed putting the motor in my camaro it's out of a 96 caprice. My old motor was original with 178k miles on it. Today i hooked the oil cooller lines up the way i thought they were on the old motor. One to the pump and one to the radiator. Did i mess up. Is there oil that runs through the caprice cooler instead of anti freeze. Any suggestions on this i started it up and the lifters were ticking which i thought was usual till it got oil everywhere been sitting for couple of months till i got it. But my oil cooler line blew off and no oil pressure and my antifreeze mixed with my oil so i shut it off and checked it out it's sitting on a jack right now and i'm confused on what to do Also any ideas how to get all the antifreeze out of engine i thought about changing oil a couple of times. I need this car running as soon as i can so i can get back and forth to work
Old 04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

believe so caprices used oil lines and f body used coolant , any way I'd delete it that way no issues
Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 PM

were can i get one at and any chance my motor is still good and any ideas how to clean it out really good
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Based on a lot of peoples experiences, the stock oil coolers are pretty much worthless and end up causing more problems then good. I would remove all of the oil cooler stuff, grind off the stud end of the bolts under the oil filter that the cooler adapter bolts to, and plug your WP and radiator, or just use a section of rubber hose to loop the nozzles.

Did you have no oil pressure with a mechanical gauge or the stock one? Only way to know for sure if there is damage is to take apart the engine and inspect the bearings, or you could flush it out with some cheap 5w30 and put on a new filter, start it and hope you have good oil pressure with a mech. gauge.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after you take of the filter you can see where you can wrench off the threads and the cooler falls of then there are two blots that you have to trim the heads down .then you can put just a filter back on then ok the outlet on the radiator is a 5/8s but the outlet on the pump is 3/4 I believe or 11/16ths get a reducer to match the two....but to clean it idk I'd drain it pt some oil and atf run for a few and drain it overnight an once that's done flush the radiatord
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 PM

Anyone got a part number for a complete kit

Quick Reply: oil cooler problems