LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Engine keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine keeps dying

On my last nerve! I scanned the ECM for codes, and got a low coolant temp, that's all. I've just replaced the opti, thinking it was going out, and it still dies on me. It runs for a little bit, then the idle seems to pick up just a bit and dies soon after. It won't restart at all either, like it has no spark. I've swapped the ignition module with my Nephew's 94, and his runs fine with mine while I have the same problem. I also swapped out the coil, and disabled the ignition box. I'm out of ideas, any help is appreciated.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 AM
Staging Lane

simple test
get a spare spark plug.
when it dies, remove a plug wire and put it on the spare. put end on ground in car chassis.
turn over engine and report back if u got spark.
next would b to check fuel pressure w a guage.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

If you don't have a guage easy way to test fuel is spray ether or brake cleaner in the tb and see if it runs
Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

What fuel mods do you have?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Ok, back to this again. To answer the looming questions: I still have spark after it dies, fuel pressure is good @45psi.

I have a Walbro fuel pump.

A friend said to check the vats, but I never have any of the typical vats problems. Another friend said to check the ignition switch near the bottom of the steering column. I've never heard of anything like that. Anyone have any thoughts? It's gotta be some lame non essential shitty feature GM built into the ignition system! I just don't know what.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Banned

OBD II shuts injector fuel down if detects no cyl fire - don't know if OBD I does that but u could try to reset the ECM by R&R the ECM fuse.

Don't mess with the steering column unless u know what u are doing and can set the ignition switch operating bar.

If it starts then shuts down then something is telling it to do so - ECM. But for what reason? No codes is strange. I dont have the factory manual for '93 but it should have a diagnose for this. U need the diagnose flow chart for '93 - before u waste any more $$$. Heck a shop manual is <$100.

cardo0

Quick Reply: Engine keeps dying