LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Roaring sound when starting and running. Starter or flywheel problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Roaring sound when starting and running. Starter or flywheel problem.

My car has had an intermittent starting problem with moisture since the beginning of this year. When it rains, it's either very difficult to start or it won't start at all. I was planning on figuring this issue out over the winter (This isn't the current issue I'm trying to resolve).

One morning, it rained fairly bad. I tried to start it and it would not start. After I let off the key, the car would continue to run. The mistake I made, was that one of those times, I tried to immediately start it again while it was continuing to run. The starter sounded worn out after that.

At the time I thought I had messed up the starter, I was okay with this since I was going to rebuild it come winter time anyway. I was leaving the gym one day and came to an intersection, turned the wheel and began to make a turn. I heard a very loud clunk and the car started a roaring type sound that got worse the higher the RPMs got.

Does this sound like a starter or flywheel issue? I can get a video, it's pretty horrifying sounding. Car doesn't seem to have any present issues starting under normal conditions. (Except the sound)

EDIT: Found this link

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4588027...work-car_.html

A starter is not engaged all of the time. It only engages when the key is turned to the start position.

This screams flywheel... unless fbodies are different?

EDIT: My car is an automatic, which means that it has a flexplate, not a flywheel, correct? Either way, not looking good

Last edited by Epro; 10-22-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pull the starter and check the bendix/drive assembly to be sure that it is retracting properly. While it is out you can inspect the flexplate for damage.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it's safe to say it's the starter

Is there potential for any fluid loss? It looked like something was leaking near it last time the car was running.

Quick Reply: Roaring sound when starting and running. Starter or flywheel problem.