LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water Pump Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Noise

OK, I just got everything back together. I replaced the radiator, opti-spark, ignition wires, spark plugs, thermostat, water pump drive seals, opti-seals and general cleaning / replacing of vacuum lines.

I crossed my fingers and started it up. First start I heard a quick sound of grinding gears, I shut it down real quick. After looking for the obvious and finding nothing I started it again. It started right up and has a very smooth strong idle. I let it idle for about 5 minutes and sounds great. Once it starts to reach operating temperature the radiator starts spills some coolant and then it started to make an awful gear grinding sound. It sounds like it was coming from the water pump. I shut it down again and after a few minutes I restarted it no gear grinding sounds but it was getting dark so I didn't have to time to let it warm up again.

Could I have not lined up the water pump drive coupler correctly ??? It took a few turns to get it to line up and seat. I figured either it seats or it doesn't.

I'm really gonna hate taking things apart to get this right. Any ideas or advice ??? Does anybody have similar experiences ???

Thanks,
Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

when the coupler is sandwiched beyween WP & TC and is on the spline shafts it has no where else to go so it would be on right. assumed you grease the WP splines and inside coupler and new "O" rings

maybe the "new" WP is bad
Old 12-24-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point, have you let it run long enough to bleed all of the air out of the cooling system? If the engine sounds OK mechanically, what you might be hearing is the "gurgling" of air trying to work its way out of the system.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

did you look at your water pump drive gear when it was a part too? part that the coupler goes onto from the water pump.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:54 AM
Teching In

I took the water pump off again and the splines were not damaged anywhere. The coupling also had no damage. I then reinstalled the water pump, put grease on the coupling, and made sure it lined up correctly. While I was reinstalling the fan assembly I spun each fan and the left side fan makes an ugly grinding sound. I wish I had done this in first place, LOL. I guess I should had examined the problem closer. The water pump is not an "on-demand" water pump it always spins not just it reaches operating temperature.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Noise