LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MALF 36 high-res fail

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MALF 36 high-res fail

I was on my way home from work and my car just died on me. After doing some testing we determined that it was the opti so I replaced it with a napa reman unit (I know, I know but it was convenient) that resolved the no crank issue but now I have a bad miss. I swapped it out again and now it cranks fine and runs fine no miss at all. Now if I park it for about 10 to 15 minutes and try and crank it again it spins over and it will hit but not run but if I hold the key over it will eventually crank after about 15 seconds and I get a MALF 36 high res fail. It seems to only crank over easy when it is cold. I am pretty sure it is the opti but I would like know if maybe I am overlooking anything.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

this is a sticky over at z28.com

Is Your Opti-Spark Failing?

LT1 owners have dealt with the Opti-Spark distributor for 11 years now, but there is still much confusion regarding the causes and symptoms of a failing unit. Tapping into the PCM with a scan tool is a good way to start, but sometimes no codes will be set. Before diving into the Opti-Spark, be sure to verify that your grounds are good and the coil and wires are not the source of the problem, as they are much easier to change.

Symptoms:

* Car suddenly dies and won't restart
* Starts but immediately dies
* Extended cranking to start
* Rough idle
* Sputtering
* Backfiring
* Trouble reaching higher rpm
* Black smoke from exhaust
* Poor performance with car warmed up
* Weak plug wire spark
* Codes 16, 36, and 42 may be set