LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EGR issues, can I just disable my air pump/ EGR instead of removing/ blocking off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default EGR issues, can I just disable my air pump/ EGR instead of removing/ blocking off.

As the title says, instead of using block off plates can I just use tunerpro to disable my EGR and bypass it that way? Right now I don't want to delete EGR/ AIR and was wondering if I could do this to get my gas mileage back?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You could just put a cap on the vacuum port that goes to the EGR and then use Tunerpro to tune out the SES codes.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

And that would have the same effect as using block off plates to stop the EGR from functioning? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that or just unplug the EGR solenoid and it will have the same effect. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't allow vacuum through when there's no power going to it. It will definitely throw a code though.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks a lot! Now I just have to find what I need to do in tunerpro to disable it. Hoping to get my mileage back, getting 11.5-18 over the last year sucked (and I replaced a ton of **** chasing this, the EGR code was intermittent at best).
Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If anything, I think a properly functioning EGR would help your gas mileage. But if you were throwing an EGR code I'm guessing your PCM was responding to the perceived problem by making your car run rich and killing your mileage. How good is the tune? Any pops when you rev up? Popping/gargling noises on decel?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get slightly better gas mileage now with my cam than I did full bolt on because my tune sucked back then.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
If anything, I think a properly functioning EGR would help your gas mileage. But if you were throwing an EGR code I'm guessing your PCM was responding to the perceived problem by making your car run rich and killing your mileage. How good is the tune? Any pops when you rev up? Popping/gargling noises on decel?
My mileage went to **** ever since I replaced my opti a year ago. Since then I've done everything except for O2s (reading fine) and replacing the EGR solenoid. Replaced some vacuum tubing as well and it never did jack ****, I had always planned on getting LTs and deleted but I'm holding off for the time being.

Engine runs very rich, I can smell the gas on a cold start and it pops/ crackles a decent amount on decel. Tune is good but I've been chasing a ghost knock issue that I've had since I started datalogging last summer, I think its the EGR issue causing the knock. Getting up to 10* at WOT. Thats with the LT4 knock module too.

Quick Reply: EGR issues, can I just disable my air pump/ EGR instead of removing/ blocking off.