LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

stock tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock tune

Hello all. This is my first part. I have a 97 lt1 383 with a race cam and long tubes. This car was tuned after the crank, hot cam and headers were installed. Since then it has gotten a bigger cam. I have the jet dst software and have uploaded the calibration data but I was wondering what all the guy changed when they tuned it the first time. Does anyone know where I can get the stock data?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Has anyone got a printout (. txt) of a stock tune from any 97 lt1 using any of the tuning softwares?

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warbird75
Hello all. This is my first part. I have a 97 lt1 383 with a race cam and long tubes. This car was tuned after the crank, hot cam and headers were installed. Since then it has gotten a bigger cam. I have the jet dst software and have uploaded the calibration data but I was wondering what all the guy changed when they tuned it the first time. Does anyone know where I can get the stock data?
Not to be a dick, but have you ever tuned a LT1 before? If not, I'd let the professionals do it, it's how they make their living so you're gonna have better results if you choose a good tuner; it's only a little over $100 for a mail order tune custom for your setup....or even better yet, get it dyno tuned; a good tuner will pick up even more power on the dyno over a mail order (like 20+hp on a stroker setup); pricey though, but worth it when you factor HP per dollar, better driveability, mileage, ect....my 2 cents.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A tuner gaining power on a dydno tune vs. a mailorder tune is NOT proof of the dyno being better, just proof the mailorder was off. Now that could be due to a LOT of things only one of them being poor tuning. Sometimes it could be as simple as some tolerance stacking and the engine actually seeing a slightly different amount of timing than the tuner wanted or something.

Since the OP is throwing around terms like "race cam" though I have to agree, get a professional involved, later learn to make small changes slowly, right now you need to get the car dealt with.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A tuner gaining power on a dydno tune vs. a mailorder tune is NOT proof of the dyno being better, just proof the mailorder was off. Now that could be due to a LOT of things only one of them being poor tuning. Sometimes it could be as simple as some tolerance stacking and the engine actually seeing a slightly different amount of timing than the tuner wanted or something.

Since the OP is throwing around terms like "race cam" though I have to agree, get a professional involved, later learn to make small changes slowly, right now you need to get the car dealt with.
I beg to differ...so does PCM for less who did both my original mail order and dyno tune. A mail order tune is simply a best guess at what the engine needs based on the mods/specs provided....a DYNO tune on the other hand, they hook it up to a wideband monitor, and get the air/fuel ratio spot on perfect at various RPM's....that is simply impossible to do through a mail order tune, every engine/combo is slightly different with different needs; especially a heavily modified stroker. A mail order tuner/do it yourselfer is not some sort of psychic who can magically monitor your air/fuel ratio via telepathy
Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

LOL you two are arguing the same point. Have not seen that in a while.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jaycenk
LOL you two are arguing the same point. Have not seen that in a while.
True....I see your point, arguing pure semantics...bottom line, dyno tuning is superior to any other tuning; and even the "good" mail order tuners will off just a bit.

Last edited by ahritchie; 03-03-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to have a modded car you need a datalogger and that can be used to send data back to the tuner. Anyone good will also tell you that especially on an inertia dyno the make dyno performance is NOT the max track performance settings. Truly fast cars get there by tuning on the track.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 PM

Ahritchie I understand where your coming from and I do agree about the professionals but all the pros around here want $500 to put the car on the dyno and I know the car has another issue that needs attention before I take it to the shop. I'm looking for an original tune to see what all was turned off or bypassed so I can go through the car and while im at it I want to learn alot more about it.

Either way I'm still looking for an original tune which seems like its impossible to find. I guess i'll end up getting another pcm off ebay and read it out myself.

Also I would like to point out "not to be a dick" but all the professionals had at one time also never tuned a LT1, I'm just looking to learn. So if any of you guys have any resources they would be will to share about tuning in general and/or tuning focused on LT1 and LS1 engines it would be awesome to see. Cause I have heard that the LT1 can be a pain.

Thanks Guys
Old 03-05-2014, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Warbird75
Ahritchie I understand where your coming from and I do agree about the professionals but all the pros around here want $500 to put the car on the dyno and I know the car has another issue that needs attention before I take it to the shop. I'm looking for an original tune to see what all was turned off or bypassed so I can go through the car and while im at it I want to learn alot more about it.

Either way I'm still looking for an original tune which seems like its impossible to find. I guess i'll end up getting another pcm off ebay and read it out myself.

Also I would like to point out "not to be a dick" but all the professionals had at one time also never tuned a LT1, I'm just looking to learn. So if any of you guys have any resources they would be will to share about tuning in general and/or tuning focused on LT1 and LS1 engines it would be awesome to see. Cause I have heard that the LT1 can be a pain.

Thanks Guys
Unfortunately, LT1 tuners are a dying breed (by the way, mail order tunes are just over $100)....best of luck trying to learn something about our "obsolete" PCM.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM

Default Found it.

Well I finally found a stock cal file for a 97 LT1 auto at
http://www.gearhead-efi.com > under the fuel injection section look at the last entry called "Bin Files, Definitions, Hacks, Moates Fileman, DIY-EFI and more!".

There are quite a few dumps to dig through but its pretty self explanatory.

Hopefully if anyone happens to come across this thread looking for stock files like I was this will help.

After comparing my tune to a stock Camaro tune of the same model PCM there are a few differences like both 2nd O2 deletes, EGR delete and Cat delete, a few small changes for injector size and about 45 tables had changes to them also. Most of which made sense but not sure if some of the differences are because I got a TA and this was Camaro data.

Quick Reply: stock tune