LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Should I change head gaskets now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change head gaskets now?

I have a my new (to me) Camaro torn down doing a few different projects.. Everything is off of the front of motor (accessory bracket and timing cover also). Everything behind the headers is off also. Previous owner (family member), said that water pump started to leak (slow at first then a good deal) and then he overheated. He said that the antifreeze gushed from radiator after refilling a few times and didn't want to mess with it anymore.

After reading this forum, I see that if the cooling system isn't bled correctly it can do the exact thing. The water pump clearly was leaking at the block seals.... Thoughts? How much more time to pull the heads from where I'm at? Don't like doing things twice but I need this as a daily driver very soon and I don't have much time to work on it. (It's supercharged also... If that matters)

I greatly appreciate any and all feedback!

1997 M6 LT's and intercooled supercharger
Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Might as well if you are that far into it. Would be a good idea to check the heads to ensure they are not warped. How much boost?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 PM

7ish max when he put it on dyno. How much more work? I'm on such a time crunch to have a driving car.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If you've never done it before then it'd probably be at least two to four hours to get the heads off from where you are now. The bitch is getting the headers out of the way to get the bottom set of bolts on the heads. The passenger header may need to come completely out where you may be able to push the drivers side enough out of the way. You may have to jack the engine off the passenger mount to get the header out especially since you have a manual. I'd replace the head bolts with a set of ARP's.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the input, I was afraid I'd have to rip her down... Was hoping not because of time. If I have to do this, I might as well take care of a pan leak. If heads and intake are off, how high do I need to bring motor up to clear pan out and what needs to be loosened? Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Should I change head gaskets now?