LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car smoking at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car smoking at idle

So it's a 94 camaro z28, new walboro 255 lph pump, longtubes, hotcam, slp LM1, 3500 stall, .030 over. When I start the car, it shoots one small puff of whitish/blueish smoke out, once you drive it awhile and stop, no smoke, once u start it back up in like a drive through or something (Hard start also it's like trying trying...pause....fires up) it smokes constantly the same color, thenu get to moving and it will stop. Any thoughts? Car running super rich?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Is it a new build? Seems maybe like rings arent fully seated... the other thing that comes to mind would be valve seals.... Starting issue sounds like a timing issue perhaps. Im sure someone will chime in with more ideas for you. Is it tuned for the new parts?
Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
Is it a new build? Seems maybe like rings arent fully seated... the other thing that comes to mind would be valve seals.... Starting issue sounds like a timing issue perhaps. Im sure someone will chime in with more ideas for you. Is it tuned for the new parts?
It is a new build, 1900 miles on it so far, it didn't do it at first. we got the motor done and a new trans put in, put our cpu was buggy so we replaced it with a 94 roadmaster cpu flashed with all the mods EXCEPT the fuel pump, when we had the stock fuel pump it ran a little rich, then our fuel pump went out and we replaced it with the walboro and it got alot worse. That's why I think it is just running super rich, I'd hate to go spend 250 for a dyno tune then find out that's not it.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Banned

Did u reuse the head bolts. Only u could know. LT1 head bolts are torque once only and replace - torque to limit - TTL. If u used standard head bolts or not sure how bolts were torqued then u could retorque the head bolts - in the tight direction only.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

If it smokes on a cold start, and goes away, chances are you have a bad valve stem seal.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cardo0
Did u reuse the head bolts. Only u could know. LT1 head bolts are torque once only and replace - torque to limit - TTL. If u used standard head bolts or not sure how bolts were torqued then u could retorque the head bolts - in the tight direction only.
Yes we reused them, but wouldn't that cause it to smoke in the engine bay? The smoke is coming from the exhaust tips btw. It's blueish white and smells or oil/gas combined.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
If it smokes on a cold start, and goes away, chances are you have a bad valve stem seal.
SOMETIMES it smokes on a cold start, but 90% of the time it doesn't. Once it gets up to temp, you cut the car off to speak in a drive through etc is when it starts smoking, if you start it it will shoot a cloud out, and if you keep moving it doesn't smoke until you cut it off and start it back up again. If you start it back up and move forward a little bit then the smoke pours out.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Sounding more like one or more valve stem seals.... Did you tear one putting them on maybe? Or, possibly mix the exhaust seals with the intake seals? When I did the springs and seals on my LS6, the seals were specified for intake and exhaust with different part numbers.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cardo0
Originally Posted by WCT13
Yes we reused them, but wouldn't that cause it to smoke in the engine bay? The smoke is coming from the exhaust tips btw. It's blueish white and smells or oil/gas combined.

The head bolts are new.

Originally Posted by JOHNNYMO
Sounding more like one or more valve stem seals.... Did you tear one putting them on maybe? Or, possibly mix the exhaust seals with the intake seals? When I did the springs and seals on my LS6, the seals were specified for intake and exhaust with different part numbers.
Machine shop replaced the seals, not wct13 nor I did those.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slownova73
The head bolts are new.

Machine shop replaced the seals, not wct13 nor I did those.
I can only speculate of course, but it may be the shop opened the guides too much during machining or knurling process.... the only other thing I can think is the oil control rings might be the wrong material... or installed improperly....again, guessing, but I dunno for sure.

Quick Reply: Car smoking at idle