LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Throttle body bypass problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Throttle body bypass problems

Well so much for the TB bypass being a easy job. I bought the BMR suspension tb bypass kit off ebay to make the bypass extra easy, ha ha !

The vacuum caps they supply don't fit the 3/8 fittings, they are to small. And as I was trying to get it to fit coolant leaked down and some may have went near the optispark to further **** me off. Of course I had about 10 rags stuffed everywhere to stop coolant from leaking on the opti and it found a way around the towels and down the front of the engine "murphys law"I do have the vented opti though so I hope it is alright. $20 down the drain.

And I looked inside my throttle body and into the intake and it looks black with oil and the PCV tubing that I pulled off of the tb had a little bit of oil in it, is this normal? can I delete the PCV tubing off of the tb so no more oil gets in the tb and intake?

Can I find 3/8 vaccum caps at the local auto store?? So much for things going smoothly. I just hope the opti is alright.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you have a 96 Camaro like your info says, you didn't need to buy anything to do the bypass. Also, if you drained the coolant, there should have been little or no coolant running down on the opti.

Normal for some oil in the PCV hose to the TB (especially on an engine with some miles). Search for catch can threads if you want to learn what you can do to alleviate it. IMHO, it is better to have the hose in place.

Yes, you can get all kinds of vacuum caps at the parts store (though, they are not mandatory).
Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

that could be part of my problem, I didn't drain the antifreeze prior to doing the bypass. Is there an easy drain plug somewhere on the radiator?

car has 82,000 miles, I would like to keep the pcv hose attached to the tb, is a catch can the same as a air/oil separator that hooks to your pcv line?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there should be a valve under the radiator that you twist counterclockwise to drain the coolant. But always cover the opti as good as you can just in case. Try using a plastic trash bag if rags dont work.

Quick Reply: Throttle body bypass problems