LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 LT1 LE Trickflow build

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Wouldn't this techinically be a 385 with .040 over pistons?

Anyway looks good! Can't wait to get my '93 done.
You guys dont let anything slide! I knew someone would call me out on that. What kind of setup do you have?

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
Looks good. What kind of main caps did you go with? Out of curiosity how much did a machine shop charge to do the caps? Are they stepped?
I think they were Milodon stepped splayed four bolt mains. They were already on the motor before this refresh. Not sure how much a machine shop would charge for that work.

Got my cam!!!! A we bit of progress. Got it, the lifters and timing set all stabbed in.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Got some more parts thrown at it today. Can't wait to get the heads and get a good chunk of this engine assembled.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Teching In

i would go with the vodoo rocker arms self alig. ones. i have LE ported heads & custom cam & they work great. Wish i had that rotating assy. looks good.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be around 480-500 RWhp with that cam and those heads. But maybe I missed it, what is your compression ratio?
Old 10-07-2014, 06:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What lifters did you go with? I would NOT use self aligning rockers with that setup, you will need way more rpm than the 6300 rule of thumb limit for SA rockers, get some 7/16 stud NSA rockers and a pushrod length checking tool then order pushrods.

I think with the auto you'll be closer to 440-460rwhp. Still going to be a sweet setup. If you go closer to 12.3-12.5:1 I think you'll be happy, listen to Lloyd. You have the right PCM for a good tune, could even go closer to 12.7 probably.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm running the non-self aligning ultra pro mags. work good for me. quiet too. they did seem a little heavy but maybe thats because i was removing aluminum rockers when I put these on.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt13831996
i would go with the vodoo rocker arms self alig. ones. i have LE ported heads & custom cam & they work great. Wish i had that rotating assy. looks good.
I did go with the Lunati Voodoos but the SA stuff isnt going to cut it for this build i went with non self aligning.

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
Should be around 480-500 RWhp with that cam and those heads. But maybe I missed it, what is your compression ratio?
Compression will be right at 12:1 I'd be overwhelmingly happy with those sort of HP numbers!

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
What lifters did you go with? I would NOT use self aligning rockers with that setup, you will need way more rpm than the 6300 rule of thumb limit for SA rockers, get some 7/16 stud NSA rockers and a pushrod length checking tool then order pushrods.

I think with the auto you'll be closer to 440-460rwhp. Still going to be a sweet setup. If you go closer to 12.3-12.5:1 I think you'll be happy, listen to Lloyd. You have the right PCM for a good tune, could even go closer to 12.7 probably.
Went with Lunati lifters per LLoyds suggestion. I dunno if he really believes in there stuff or he just suggests them since he's a dealer but I'm sure either way they'll be more than adequate for the build. Got 7/16 studs already and PR length tool will be here tomorrow. Going with 5/16th PR's. It's not gonna be an auto tho just a 6 speed i wont be able to get down the track with a decent time till i get that driver mod all sorted out.

Originally Posted by ElkySS
I'm running the non-self aligning ultra pro mags. work good for me. quiet too. they did seem a little heavy but maybe thats because i was removing aluminum rockers when I put these on.
Almost pulled the trigger on those but i had the previous generation which were about the noisiest rockers Ive ever heard in person (although the trunion bearings had a good bit of play) From what i read the redesign is a pretty badass rocker.

GOT MY HEADS ON!!!!!!!

All torqued down. Used the provided ARP lube under the bolt heads amd on the washers as well as all the blind bolt holes. Went with Permatex #2 for anything in a water jacket. Torqued down in 3 passes to 70 ft lbs per ARP recomendations. Question tho the exhaust ports slightly break into the threads for the header bolts. Is this going to present an issue?
Old 10-13-2014, 05:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I got the ultra pro mags right after they came out. If they've been redesigned, it had to be within the last couple of years. Mine are real quiet.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are those the 21* heads? I didnt see if you mentioned that just curious.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transbird95
Are those the 21* heads? I didnt see if you mentioned that just curious.
Not the 21 degree head. Now that I think about it I don't recall seeing any results from those heads. There was a lot of excitement surrounding them when they came out and then they just kinda disappeared. I'd assume they're a pretty killer set of heads tho.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a few of us that have them. They seem to be working pretty well. I had Lloyd port some for me a while back for my 355. I have no track times yet as I havent been racing for two years but on the street it feels much faster than my old le2 stuff. Hope to see some numbers from yours soon!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Have a question on checking pushrod length. Setting it at 0 lash and a half turn of preload I'm able to get a decent pattern on the valve that's a lil toward the valve side with a pushrod at 7.150. The lifters are right out of the box and not pumped up will this effect the pattern on the valve? It seems the plunger on the lifters is quite easily pushed down in comparison to the ones that came out that I'm assuming have plenty of oil in them. Everything I can seem to find refers to setup with lifters that are pumped up. This is the first time I've tried getting this deep into setup.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long as your header bolt torques down (can you use a stud) you should be good to go. youll know when you tighten it if it wont you got a problem.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Long as your header bolt torques down (can you use a stud) you should be good to go. youll know when you tighten it if it wont you got a problem.
Right on thanks!

Went ahead and threw in the 7.150 pushrods i had. It was a better pattern at 7.100 but the rocker were insanely close to making contact with the taper of the rocker studs. In fact at 7.000 it made quite a bit of contact and marred up the underside of the rocker Went ahead and set them at 0 lash plush 1/2 turn of preload. Anybody see any issues with what was done? I'm pretty damn nervous about firing this thing up since I've assembled most of it lol.

Anyway pics:

rocker arm carnage

Wear pattern at 7.150

Wear pattern at 7.100 but the rocker is verrrrry close

Pictures of mock up

Old 11-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

Got a bit more assembled hopefully the motor will be in this weekend

Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good! Keep at it.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Motors in! Ran into a few problems along the way. where the alternator now lives is too close to the framerail it actually makes contact with the internally mounted nut for the k member and the sway bar bracket so that will need to be addressed. I really need to stay focused and get this damn thing wrapped up.

After getting everything in I stated assembly some of the little things and got excited and wanted to try pushing in the clutch, here is the result:

After a good bit of investigation it looks like the clutch fork is on the T.O. bearing just fine, and has about 3/16 clearance between the fork and pressure plate at its closest point (the clutch fork pivot) the clutch fork sits flush with the surface of its opening on the bellhousing with the slave and fork cover removed. Is that normal? I'm hoping the hydraulics just failed and were possibly seized and or binding somehow. Anybody have any insight?

Quick Reply: 383 LT1 LE Trickflow build