LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild

A guy told me that i should do a engine rebuild on my LT1 and use this special kind of piston and polish and porting because i could get 450 hp. What piston could he be talkin about and any suggestions and hey is it bad to run regular unleaded gas through a polish and ported internals (like will it cause Knocking)
Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh boy..... You got some reading to do bud.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeyEFB
A guy told me that i should do a engine rebuild on my LT1 and use this special kind of piston and polish and porting because i could get 450 hp. What piston could he be talkin about and any suggestions and hey is it bad to run regular unleaded gas through a polish and ported internals (like will it cause Knocking)
First thing, Forget the word special when your talking about any engine or performance part.
If you going to do a rebuild and want some more power a good port job will do that. however the only thing that is being ported and/or polished is the ports and/or combustion chambers on the heads, also posbaly the intake runners on the intake. You can run a diffrent pistion that will bump up the compression ratio. This will make more HP, however to much on low octane fuel will cause pre detination(Knocking)
As said do some reading. 450 HP(rear wheel) Is not that easy to achive naturaly asperated, especially if you want to keep it pretty streetable. First need to figure out what you are shooting for and what your budget is. Then how advanced you are on working on your car. This is a key factor when figuring budget.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyEFB
LOL...sounds like you are 12 years old or a Mustang owner trolling around here; a LT1 needs 91+ octane even in STOCK form to get advertised HP, so no, you certainly can't run regular through a 450 HP "built" LT1 that has a decent CR ....yes, it would be bad. Get a Corolla if you can't swing the expense of 93 octane!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

PUT AWAY YOUR WALLET AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!!!!!

You have some SERIOUS reading to do, someone is trying to take you for a ride, do you know what a piston is? Why do you need a rebuild?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

a rebuild to 450whp = $$$$$$$

Old 10-17-2014, 03:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Gotta be a joke..

Quick Reply: Rebuild