LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 Z/28 no crank no start(Solved)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Z/28 no crank no start(Solved)

So went out yesterday, drove for maybe 15 mins and the car ran fine just like normal. stopped at a gas station, shut it off, and bam no crank no start...

Car sat for a while, put a new battery in and it actually started. Drove it over to Autozone maybe another 15 mins and again no crank no start at all... this time it even smoked a little from the ground post on the pass side... both times the security light comes on and goes out like normal, go to turn it over and the volt gauge goes to 0. *I grounded the TDR and the volt gauge stays up now*

I have 2 kays, and I have a resistor made to go in place just not done it yet.

Only thing I could think that would cause this if it's not the TDR, would be IGN switch? I've tested all my fuses, and coil/ICM/OPTI are all good. Car does not stutter or anything, just won't turn over...

How do i test the IGN switch, or can i even?

Last edited by BoostedDSM; 10-26-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

When you turn the key to the ON position the dash should light up and all the bulb tests should be run. You should also get power to any fuses that are energized with the key ON. When turned to START, you should get 12v power through the TDR to the purple wire on the starter to crank. If you are seeing smoke from a terminal connection, it usually means the connection is poor. That can cause a no-start or perceived dead battery when on a main cable.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did clean and re do the terminal, it was kind of dirty. I have to go under the car, I forgot that the ground to the block had to be repaired last year. I'll grab the MM again and start checking power to other fuses/Starter.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I left it for the weekend and went up north, cleaned the terminal with sand paper as it had corrosion on it (on the passenger side of the engine bay) all fuses were good, and are getting power with the key on (have not tested run yet). Grounded the TDR so the volt gauge stays up now, instead of going to 0 before. No Security light while trying to crank it over, does light up prior as it should.

I've not had a chance to check power at the starter, can't get the bolts loose.... My dad and his damn impact gun >.< I'll check for power there tomorrow, in the mean time I snagged a new acdelco ignition switch and connector. Got em cheap so why not, just in case.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Updating this, no power at the starter from the purple wire even with the TDR grounded out. Going to bypass it completely today and see if that changes anything...

On a side note it's getting colder here in MI, only going to drive it a few more weeks if it even runs before it gets moved to storage and the engine comes out.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

It lives, never thought to check what had already been done by my dad. He grounded the wrong side of the TDR wire, swapped it today and it fired right up.

Quick Reply: 95 Z/28 no crank no start(Solved)