LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Porting LT1 heads Advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porting LT1 heads Advise

First. Im bringing in my LT1 aluminum heads to get cleaned today. The last set he cleaned for me, he sandblasted the combustion chambers? Did he do this just to clean up the chamber??
I know some guys say you need it to be rough to help with atomization?????
I always thought that was for more carb stuff not FI. Anyway do I want him to blast the chambers and rough them up? Then just clean them up when i get them back? Or should I tell him not to blast the chamber?
Thanks guys
Old 12-10-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

why don't you just send heads as is to Lloyd Elliott for porting.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT1Z
First. Im bringing in my LT1 aluminum heads to get cleaned today. The last set he cleaned for me, he sandblasted the combustion chambers? Did he do this just to clean up the chamber??
I know some guys say you need it to be rough to help with atomization?????
I always thought that was for more carb stuff not FI. Anyway do I want him to blast the chambers and rough them up? Then just clean them up when i get them back? Or should I tell him not to blast the chamber?
Thanks guys
Yes have him blast the combustion chambers, also buff out the carbo from the ports as well
Old 12-10-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Cool. So he said ill get them back friday. He's cleaning both the heads and the valves, so I'm looking forward to getting them back! Then I start porting
Learning as I go!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chamber work itself in the right spots will help more than any type of finish;I dont believe that any of it (type of finish) makes a difference
Once you fire it up youll get carbon all over anyway

Post up your results when done!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool. So he said ill get them back friday. He's cleaning both the heads and the valves, so I'm looking forward to getting them back! Then I start porting
Learning as I go!
Not to hurt your feelings, but that would be a mistake if you want to be fast. More to it than you might think. Might build or buy yourself a flow bench, and buy an extra set of castings to experiment on. Hours of fun. Built mine nearly forty years ago. Just sold it last year. Very interesting. There are some good books on the subject. I think Reher & Morrison Racing Engines new book cover heads. Their older one did. Good reading for anybody interested in working on their own engines. They are located in Arlington, TX.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you're hell bent on porting your own heads then this might be of interest to you...
Old 12-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Launching!

If you wanna learn how to screw heads up jump on youtube or listen to forums
The reher morrison suggestion is good...larry meaux on speedtalk.com offers some good material

On the headbytes dude anybody see the one where he spills a bucket of molten aluminum on his foot and almost catches his place on fire? Not funny but was in stitches for awhile.
Poor guy lol.
The following users liked this post:
LTX (08-20-2023)
Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice video!!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 AM
TECH Regular

YA iv seen all of that guys videos. Just a question? What do the 1/2 tubes do? Been wondering that for awhile
Old 12-11-2014, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There is a few threads on yb dedicated to that headbytes guy. Very very funny. He also has taken money and heads from people and never returned them. He would be the last guy I would listen too. Not trying to start anything, just saying.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Launching!

If you get to the point to where you feel you have to break through to the headbolts to make the head good just buy a better head to start with. Opinions may vary but not a fan of turning a factory head into an oversized sprinkler system. Waste of dough
Old 12-11-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
On the headbytes dude anybody see the one where he spills a bucket of molten aluminum on his foot and almost catches his place on fire? Not funny but was in stitches for awhile.
Poor guy lol.
Lololol post a link if you can find it. I just like hearing the dude blabber on. Makes me want to grow a giant mullet.

Personally, I wouldn't trust myself to do any work beyond a little valve unshrouding, casting cleanup, and measuring the ports to ensure they're identical. There is some valuable information there in regards to that and the fact that cylinder head eye candy doesn't translate to better flow. Every time I see a mirror finish on a home port job it makes me laugh.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

People just dont understand porting, there is hogging out and then there is true professional porting, Hell if it were a matter of just making the runners bigger, then anyone could do it, Porting is a science, you have to know, swirl, tumble, velocity ect. I have seen so many home port jobs that looked good, and when put back on the motor with no other mods, went way slower, up to 1/2 second and down 2-3 mph slower. Minor clean up is ok, but I would leave the porting to the pro like LE.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Its not like I'm making the ports a giant hole in the heads. Just some mild porting.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Its not like I'm making the ports a giant hole in the heads. Just some mild porting.
my first post may have been to subtle in recommendation...

To be clearer you stand a significantly greater chance of Fing up good heads doing a "mild port" yourself than not. Porting is a skill set based on knowledge, experience AND the right tools. One being a flow bench to see wtf actually happened after porting compared to flow before

Nothing wrong with wanting to learn and if you do great...IMHO I would start on a donor set of heads before sacrificing the ones on the car now

Lloyd Elliott Portworks or Advanced Induction would be where I would send them to...that is what they do.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, just taking a die grinder to a set of heads isn't going to magically make them better. There is science and technique behind it. I like doing things my own as well but heads is one thing i'll never do on something I care about, at least not in the near future. I would let the professionals do it this time. Grab a shitty old set of heads and practice technique first.
Not to discourage you but sometimes you need to hand the reigns to someone else.
The following users liked this post:
LTX (08-20-2023)
Old 12-11-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I never mentioned that.. The heads I'm doing this too are a set I picked up off a guy for cheap! The oe heads on my car are still on. So if I do screw these up no big deal.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
my first post may have been to subtle in recommendation...

To be clearer you stand a significantly greater chance of Fing up good heads doing a "mild port" yourself than not. Porting is a skill set based on knowledge, experience AND the right tools. One being a flow bench to see wtf actually happened after porting compared to flow before

Nothing wrong with wanting to learn and if you do great...IMHO I would start on a donor set of heads before sacrificing the ones on the car now

Lloyd Elliott Portworks or Advanced Induction would be where I would send them to...that is what they do.
As an aside, LE just finished porting a set of LT1 heads for me that are going onto a 383 stroker which I'm picking up from the engine builder this weekend. I hope to have the car on the road before X-mas, so I'll report back. I went back-and-forth between LE and AI before deciding on LE. His prices are better and he was VERY easy to work with. But if, at some point, I decide to install brand new heads (and have more money to work with), I'll probably go with AI's 212cc Trick Flows.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
As an aside, LE just finished porting a set of LT1 heads for me that are going onto a 383 stroker which I'm picking up from the engine builder this weekend. I hope to have the car on the road before X-mas, so I'll report back. I went back-and-forth between LE and AI before deciding on LE. His prices are better and he was VERY easy to work with. But if, at some point, I decide to install brand new heads (and have more money to work with), I'll probably go with AI's 212cc Trick Flows.
Ok?..

Quick Reply: Porting LT1 heads Advise