LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Adding forced induction on higher millage vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding forced induction on higher millage vehicle

Hey guys, I own a 94 trans am with the 5.7 lt1. Im wanting to throw a procharger onto it to add some more horse. I have a Corsa Performance Exhaust and AEM short ram intake and in sitting comfortably around 300wrhp. My only problem is my engine is at 215k km. Is it risking even buying the kit and running the 7psi?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes.. I would say your risking it.. But you can always buy the kit install it and if the motor blows then you can always rebuild it and you'll already have the kit for it..
Old 02-05-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, use the money to get a stroked forged engine with good heads. It will be a lot more reliable and a big peace of mind for you. It will be the about the same amount of money. From what I've read 7psi usually makes 380-450whp on a stock motor. Yours will be more on the lower side, because on the km and not a lot of supporting mods. A383 with good heads will put you at 400-450 whp. THEN you can slap on a procharger and your engine can handle it. If you go procharger, then blow your engine, then rebuild it. Your doing it backwards. That's my opinion.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 383z
Yes, use the money to get a stroked forged engine with good heads. It will be a lot more reliable and a big peace of mind for you. It will be the about the same amount of money. From what I've read 7psi usually makes 380-450whp on a stock motor. Yours will be more on the lower side, because on the km and not a lot of supporting mods. A383 with good heads will put you at 400-450 whp. THEN you can slap on a procharger and your engine can handle it. If you go procharger, then blow your engine, then rebuild it. Your doing it backwards. That's my opinion.
Lol definitely not going to blow my engine then rebuild hahahaha😂 Well I'm not looking for that much horses though ya some's good, mores better but I'm only looking for 425ish horses, the cheapest, safest I can find (for how high my millage is) I thought a procharger would get me there the quickest alp though not the cheapest or safest
Old 02-05-2015, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ryanchenger
Hey guys, I own a 94 trans am with the 5.7 lt1. Im wanting to throw a procharger onto it to add some more horse. I have a Corsa Performance Exhaust and AEM short ram intake and in sitting comfortably around 300wrhp. My only problem is my engine is at 215k km. Is it risking even buying the kit and running the 7psi?
i doubt you have 300rwhp with just a warm air intake and a catback system probably more like 280 rwhp... probably just over 300 flywheel hp

anyways... if your wanting 425rwhp at that mileage your really running a risk. I would do a compression and leak down test on every cylinder before proceeding.

..If it passes with flying colors then by all means go ahead and mod away, but just remember; you are using a stock shortblock so you cant go to crazy. 425rwhp will be pushing it, most people usually get around 380-400rwhp with heads and cam on a stock block

..If either one comes out even remotely questionable I'd just rebuild it. It'll be much easier to get 425rwhp out of a heads/cam 383.

I would get ahold of Lloyd Elliot and discuss it with him. He is a very good guy to talk to about these kinds of things..http://elliottsportworks.com/
Old 02-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Do it, what could go wrong.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car is your daily transportation and you have to rely on it, then I'd go another route.
However, if the car is a toy and you have another way to get around if it breaks, then by all means, do it. You'll want to add a good set of headers and a couple other things, but it will live for a while on 7psi if you don't lean on it too hard. How the car is driven and cared for has a lot to do with it. If you put a blower on it and beat the hell out of it on a regular basis or in hot weather, then it will likely pop pretty quickly. If you exercise some restraint and only run the car hard occasionally and when the weather is not really hot, it will likely last a while.
When it does eventually break something rebuild the shortblock with forged pistons and rods, upgrade the heads and camshaft, add more boost and make big power.

If you decide to go the N/A route, 400+rwhp is easily attainable on the stock shortblock with a good set of ported heads and matching camshaft. I wouldn't worry about the mileage too much, if the motor still holds good oil pressure and a leakdown test shows good results you will be fine.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by englundjd
i doubt you have 300rwhp with just a warm air intake and a catback system probably more like 280 rwhp... probably just over 300 flywheel hp

anyways... if your wanting 425rwhp at that mileage your really running a risk. I would do a compression and leak down test on every cylinder before proceeding.

..If it passes with flying colors then by all means go ahead and mod away, but just remember; you are using a stock shortblock so you cant go to crazy. 425rwhp will be pushing it, most people usually get around 380-400rwhp with heads and cam on a stock block

..If either one comes out even remotely questionable I'd just rebuild it. It'll be much easier to get 425rwhp out of a heads/cam 383.

I would get ahold of Lloyd Elliot and discuss it with him. He is a very good guy to talk to about these kinds of things..http://elliottsportworks.com/
Ya I was going to definitely do a compression test pretty quick here and thanks for your input! I just don't want to do a 383 because it is a lot of metal flying around, I really don't like the tolerances. And yea it's my daily, so I don't beat her but I mean a pull here and there just to put a smile on my face! Yes, my friend believe it or not it's 300 horse. Sorry shouldn't say exactly 300 but a lot faster than The stock 275. Raced same year car except all stock with better millage and I chewed it. You get what you pay for I guess and that corsa broke my bank. Sounds deadly too!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you have about 134 k miles on it. I say procharge it and keep it safe tune wise. I have 80k on my car and I have a procharger making 10 lbs of boost for the last 2 years. With an intercooler, methanol injection and a safe tune you will be fine. Especially if you only run 6 lbs or so of boost.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ringmaster72
So you have about 134 k miles on it. I say procharge it and keep it safe tune wise. I have 80k on my car and I have a procharger making 10 lbs of boost for the last 2 years. With an intercooler, methanol injection and a safe tune you will be fine. Especially if you only run 6 lbs or so of boost.
Nice numbers in your sig.. A4 or M6?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I know 2 people that have tried what you're proposing on apparently healthy strong running bolt-on LT1's. Both were toast in under 5k miles. One of them only 500 miles on a 110k engine.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
Nice numbers in your sig.. A4 or M6?
M6. Thanks, but the numbers should be higher. When I got HPTUNERS, I saw that the tuner tuned it like an LS. Max timing is only 13 degrees, so this spring I am going back on the Dyno and adding timing myself. LT1s should be in the low to mid 20s from what I have seen.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just don't want to do a 383 because it is a lot of metal flying around, I really don't like the tolerances.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Ya I was going to definitely do a compression test pretty quick here and thanks for your input! I just don't want to do a 383 because it is a lot of metal flying around, I really don't like the tolerances. And yea it's my daily, so I don't beat her but I mean a pull here and there just to put a smile on my face! Yes, my friend believe it or not it's 300 horse. Sorry shouldn't say exactly 300 but a lot faster than The stock 275. Raced same year car except all stock with better millage and I chewed it. You get what you pay for I guess and that corsa broke my bank. Sounds deadly too!
Yea that corsa prob added at least 75hp for sure, if you beat that guy with the stock hp you prob have a low 12sec car for sure.

I would say at the procharger and since that will be like 400hp you should prob see low 10s at least!!

If you add the edlebrock LT4 top end kit, thats gonna be a potent car, prob be the fastest car on this site at least.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ringmaster72
M6. Thanks, but the numbers should be higher. When I got HPTUNERS, I saw that the tuner tuned it like an LS. Max timing is only 13 degrees, so this spring I am going back on the Dyno and adding timing myself. LT1s should be in the low to mid 20s from what I have seen.
You are leaving power on the table whether you are running 13 or 2X deg advance at 100 kpa or less...
Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

what do you mean you don't like the tolerances? and lots of metal flying around?

is that a joke?
Old 02-06-2015, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Lol definitely not going to blow my engine then rebuild hahahaha😂 Well I'm not looking for that much horses though ya some's good, mores better but I'm only looking for 425ish horses, the cheapest, safest I can find (for how high my millage is) I thought a procharger would get me there the quickest alp though not the cheapest or safest
Were you seriously laughing at my comment about you blowing up your engine, because that is exactly what you're going to do if put put that Procharger on your car.
Also, what the heck are you talking about when you say that you don't want a 383 because it has a lot of metal flying around and you don't like the tolerance? You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Last, if the Corsa broke your bank, what do you think a Procharger will do? Especially when you ruin your engine. Then what about your trans? Do you have a 4L60-e? What about your rear end?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a new, never used GM LT4 (4bolt mains) short block just sitting in my garage in Maryland... Now that I also have a left-over 5.3 truck motor, I'm not sure I'll ever put the LT4 in the 95 caprice.

If I put the 5.3L in the car, I'll have the new LT4, a used LT1, and the baby L99 (4.3L) as left overs.

The world is out of balance. Ppl with good stuff their not using can't get the good stuff to ppl who need it. The problem for me is I don't yet know what I don't need.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OP you picked the wrong hobby, you are wildly ignorant and apparently have expectations far exceeding your budget.

By the time you buy a supercharger kit, supporting mods, tranny, axle and freshen an engine to handle it not a full stroker build just a basic 355 and you will be in $8K in a blink. Far as strokers, it is a bandwagon often jumped on without understanding but if well built there is NOTHING wrong with them and the crank can even be liter than stock.

Watch out for ignorant folks offering you advise too.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 383z
Were you seriously laughing at my comment about you blowing up your engine, because that is exactly what you're going to do if put put that Procharger on your car.
Also, what the heck are you talking about when you say that you don't want a 383 because it has a lot of metal flying around and you don't like the tolerance? You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Last, if the Corsa broke your bank, what do you think a Procharger will do? Especially when you ruin your engine. Then what about your trans? Do you have a 4L60-e? What about your rear end?
I'm not going to procharge I don't think don't worry! It was just an idea that me and my father had. And no I've had bad experience with stress fractures and shaving blocks haha no 383. I want to do a high compression build, head and cam swap without stroking it. Reliable horsepower I'm definitely not going to procharge until after a complete rebuild. And no 373s and t-56(:

Quick Reply: Adding forced induction on higher millage vehicle