LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OPTISPARK help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OPTISPARK help!

Hi guy my 1996 z28 just left me stranded the other day I was cruising home when the car just shut off. So I tried to restart it and the car would only start of held wot. When it started it would not rev over 500 rpm and was running like ****. So I scaned the car and got two crank sensor codes. One was a p0335 and the other was a p0336. That leave me to be leave the OPTISPARK is the problem because to my understanding an lt1 uses the crank sensor for misfire data only. And is the low resolution signal is off it can through a crank sensor code. The car smell rich when it was running when I restarted it and sound like the timing was all over the place. I hear the fuel pump when priming also. The OPTISPARK is a reman acdelco from the dealership. That I put in sometime in November with a new oem water pump. The reason I put the opti in was the old one was the original one from 1996 with 200,000 miles. And I started to get a miss in cylinder 5. So I diagnosised it as a cap and rotor. When I got the opti out and apart the cap was indeed shot because there was carbon tracking and corrosion. So with 200,000 on the opti I decided to just replace the whole thing. Well after replacing it I had a really thought idle that would cause stalling. This didn't happen all the time but most of the time until now when I shut off while cruising. So is the OPTISPARK the likely cause and any advice on testing the opti. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ballas03
... I restarted it and sound like the timing was all over the place.
That is probably because it most likely was. My guess is the rotor screws were never tight, they backed out and now the rotor is spinning free firing random cylinders at will. Needs to come off, take it apart and see what the status is of the rotor screws.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for the reply. Should I diagnosis it alittle more or just put an opti in it. The new opti will be free.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ballas03
Thank for the reply. Should I diagnosis it alittle more or just put an opti in it. The new opti will be free.
Just pull the cap off the Opti and check for a loose rotor. This is a common problem. Even if you decide to replace the current Opti with the "free" one, take the cap off the free one, and add a drop of blue Loctite to the rotor's screws, before you install it.

Quick Reply: OPTISPARK help!