LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Engine Whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 Engine Whine

I rebuilt the lt1 in my formula 2 years ago and since day one Ive had a whine coming from the engine. I looked on you tube and this is pretty much the noise im getting:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=lt1whine&sm=3

Mine is slightly quieter but very similar in sound. I took the drive belt off and the sound is still there. Im thinking possibly water pump?

When I rebuilt the motor I ended up using the old water pump - I did however change the water pump drive gear with a new gm piece.

I have 25000 kms on the motor already with no issues just this annoying sound.....

Any thoughts before l rip out the pump?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Take the w/p off and start the car. You can run the engine long enough to at least get to the front of the engine to see if the whine is still there. If it is then you need to investigate further and take the timing cover off to see if for some reason the timing chain is making contact with the cover.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use a aftermarket timing gear set? I've seen a couple posts of non-stock cam gears meshing too tightly with the WP drive gear causing a whine. Whining gears should be fixed as the lack of clearence causes overheating and failure.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I did put on a aftermarket melling lt1 timing set. Ill pull the pump first and listen.

Quick Reply: Lt1 Engine Whine