LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

mechanic is stumped, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mechanic is stumped, any ideas?

Long story short I swapped the heads and cam on my Camaro in '09 but then got injured and laid up for quite a few years before I finished it. I cant work on it anymore cause of my back and have been saving for years to get it going again so its in a shop right now *trying* to get it going again.

After I swapped the heads and cam it was running really rough like the timming was way off, smoke and burning eyes rich. I figured I put the dowel pin in the wrong hole on the opti but the mechanic put a new one on and they said they put it in the right hole but its still choppy and pig rich.

The cam was installed dot to dot, its a AI226/224 kit so nothing to aggressive. The heads were just some stockers with upgraded valves cause I didn't have the money to fix the LE2's I picked up. I also threw in impala HG's while in there and one thing that boggled my mind is that AI sent me the kit with out the PR length checking tool just a box of PR's that they said were correct for me. I talked to another hot rodder who said even if they were slightly off it shouldn't matter much. springs are CC918's with crane gold adjustable rockers. Only other thing I did while in there is remove the EGR & AIR which I had madtuner delete on the tune.

I'm stumped, the mechanic is stumped and my funds are getting low so please help! after 6yrs of sitting I just want to be driving it again this summer! TIA
Old 05-15-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have them scan it to see if any codes, or the coolant temp sensor could be bad which makes it run very rich. Or could be O2s.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

I'll have to tell them to check the sensors. I got coolant on one of the 02's so I put 1 new one on, rear 02's are long gone, cat will be going soon as its out of the shop. I had a mechanic buddy of mine put a scan tool on it back in '09 but he couldn't figure it out and I forget if it threw codes or not?(hes a pretty green mechanic). the shop said they haven't had it running long enough to read any codes cause when I talked to them the coolant system was still out which they were gonna put back on and let it run longer so maybe that will tell us some thing. I just cant keep affording the throw money at it im getting nervous now! wish I could turn some wrenches
Old 05-15-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't mention anything about a tune?
Old 05-15-2015, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
You didn't mention anything about a tune?
X2. These are computer and MAF cars so pretty much any modifications require tuning the system for it or it'll run all kooky an what not. Try getting a tune for the cam you put in it and some other little adjustments you'll need to make.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

First thing I would be looking at is a tune. Next up, I would be looking at the possibility of a fuel injector or two being stuck open. After that I would start looking at all of the sensors.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where are you? Maybe there is a fellow enthusiast who could sort it out.

Far as pushrods, even if they were the wrong length they wouldn't cause a rich condition.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Dir my bad I Ion tuned it forgot to mention but cmon guys I ain't new here.
Dwayne I'm located in MA but way out on the Cape, no one I knows of knows anything about lt1s within a hundred miles of me.. Course if some one wants to make a trip out I could also hook them up with as much scallops, fish and oysters they could eat? Used to fish for a living before getting crippled on the job.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

I've got some red tops sitting in a box I guess I'll throw them on and get a retune. Was just trying to pinch pennies but that would eliminate 2 more things
Old 05-15-2015, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have seen injectors ruined by sitting. A friend spent days trying to get a car running with a used motor, wouldn't fire atall, an injector swap and it has been a reliable daily driver since.
They can also get stuck open though which could make for rich.
You are a little too far away for me to offer to help........
Old 05-16-2015, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

OP

is it throwing any codes?

you have a scan tool, would help to read 02's

you sure the valve lash not to tight?
motor will run like *** if they are

Opti not being on dowel it won't even start so if it does, the dowel hole is lined up. Not saying Opti is not a cause for FU engine running but since you have replaced that, Opti does not seem to be problem

If you are putting in the 30lb red tops...you will need a re-tune or it will certainly run rich with the larger injectors

if you feel the injectors in now got gummed up or stuck "open", you could send them out for service/cleaning. www.cruzinperformance.com is who I have used with good results
Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help guys. I'll send out my red tops when I get back on shore next week. Ended up going fishing for the week so I'll have a few k to play with ain't stressing about it now, paying for it already tho ouchh!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Keep forgetting to mention that it doesn't want to rev up either, give it the gas and it stumbles and will barely hit 1200rpm.. sounding more and more like injectors?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Leaky collector gaskets, air leak after the maf. Take an IR gun to the cylinders and spray soapy water to areas you think might leak.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:08 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Have the catalytic converters been removed.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you pull the tune for someone on here to look over?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Any chance the cam is installed 180 degrees out?

Are the valves adjusted properly? What did the sweep look like with those pushrods?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Haven't been home yet to send off the injectors but it's first thing on my list. Gotta check in with the mechanic when I get back on shore soon. Another thing I was thinking is maybe some mice built a nest in the exhaust and it's clogged up? Could that cause some thing like this? Cat is still on, was waiting till its out of the shop to straight pipe it but who knows maybe they'll be OK with doing that.

I did my best at lining up the cam dot to dot and had a buddy who's a good hot rodder watching but lining up the teeth made it a c hair off, he said it didn't matter as it was as close as we could get it. For it to be 180 off the dot would of had to been at the bottom not the top right?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Adjusting the valves was def tough, first I did it with the engine off using shbox's instructions, thought the lash was the likely cause so a friend who's done it hundreds of times tried adjusting them with the engine running, but it was damn loud in my garage. So I had the mechanic adjust the valve lash again and nothing changed. And sorry but what do you mean by the sweep?

And I'll see if I can get the tune emailed to me, I don't have the cord or program.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds dumb, but have them double check the routing of the plug wires... Could have 2 cylinders flip flopped (so it is running on 6 cylinders and probably spitting a lot of fuel out the exhaust

Quick Reply: mechanic is stumped, any ideas?