LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

problems with a mail order tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with a mail order tune

I recently got a mail order tuned chip and have had nothing but problems with it. It was a simple street tune for bolt ons. 13/4 Lt's cai tb egr air vats delete remove limiter etc stock injectors stock gears. After initially trying to install it the car idled ok but ran great. However I lost my speedometer/odometer. Somewhere along the line I developed ignition problems and a no start condition. After throwing a bunch of money at it....New ignition switch optispark plugs wires coil and Icm the car still had no spark....wind up being vats related and bypassed it under the dash. After all the upgrades the stock tune runs great but the new tune struggles to start the car...seems to idle low. Shifty throttle response and stalls out around 2800-3000. also on top of losing the speedo when the chip is in and i try to pull the cel codes via paperclip the fans dont come on and it wont flash codes. I've contacted the tuner and he says he's never heard of issues like this other than the speedo sounds like a tranny mismatch and that I must have installed the chip or m oates adapter wrong. I watched the YouTube video and followed the instructions . Anybody have any suggestions before I ship the chip back so he can go thru the tune? At one point i did damage my memcal but i found an exact replacement. Theres no bent pins all the harness wiring looks ok I'm gonna pull everything and take a picture of the orientation of install Tia guys......
Old 05-17-2015, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could just be a bad chip. If it only happens with that chip installed, it's either the tune (unlikely) or chip (likely). I'd send it back to the tuner and see if he can burn a new chip and try that out.

If you damaged the memcal could it have damaged the chip?

Quick Reply: problems with a mail order tune