LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can a faulty Knock sensor or Crankshaft position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a faulty Knock sensor or Crankshaft position sensor?

I have a 1996 camaro z28 m6 and I I have lomgtube headers,ORY,and magna flow catback. That's all the mods. My question is can a bad knock sensor or crankshaft position sensor cause a knocking coming from the engine? Every time I start it up it knocks and as I accelerate it knocks louder. I just hope it's not a spun bearing.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A knock sensor would pull back timing for an engine noise not cause a knocking sound. Can you tell where on the engine the noise is coming from.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fast350Z
A knock sensor would pull back timing for an engine noise not cause a knocking sound. Can you tell where on the engine the noise is coming from.
It's coming from somewhere inside the engine like under the intake manifold
Old 09-12-2015, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A video would help here. Engine knock (detonation) doesn't sound like someone knocking on your door, rod knock does though. Engine knock sounds more like shaking a can of rattle can paint.

A knock sensor will not cause knock (but if it's faulty it might not prevent it).A bad crank position sensor could, but it'll more than likely just barely run if it runs at all.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hrcslam
A video would help here. Engine knock (detonation) doesn't sound like someone knocking on your door, rod knock does though. Engine knock sounds more like shaking a can of rattle can paint.

A knock sensor will not cause knock (but if it's faulty it might not prevent it).A bad crank position sensor could, but it'll more than likely just barely run if it runs at all.
Here is link #1 and #2 to my videos on YouTube. As I accelerate it gets louder and as it warms up. The car runs but is very sluggish and feels as if I keep running it, it will soon just stop.

#1 https://youtu.be/r9-xoaIJmFY

#2 https://youtu.be/BCsiFMwIbo8
Old 09-12-2015, 03:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds really bad. Pull the valve covers and look for anything obvious. Unfortunately, the speed of the knocking is basically in sync with engine rpms. That points to bottom half not top.

How's the oil pressure look?

Last edited by hrcslam; 09-12-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:56 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Did you install the headers and or, does it stock motor mounts?
Old 09-12-2015, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There's the tapping sound, but also an underlying deeper knock. Sad to say it sounds like a rod bearing. If so, the more you run it, the more crank damage there will be.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Teching In

That sounds really bad. Pull the valve covers and look for anything obvious. Unfortunately, the speed of the knocking is basically in sync with engine rpms. That points to bottom half not top.

How's the oil pressure look?
I'm not sure about the actual pressure but my fudge shows up pretty normal.
As in bottom you mean?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Did you install the headers and or, does it stock motor mounts?
I personally did not install the headers, I took it to an exhaust shop. And the car does have stock motor mounts.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shbox
There's the tapping sound, but also an underlying deeper knock. Sad to say it sounds like a rod bearing. If so, the more you run it, the more crank damage there will be.
Yea, I've had a few people tell me I spun the bearing. Where would I go from here? As in rebuild.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Village Troll

Received 520 Likes on 376 Posts

I too am going to go with rod knock. Usually it the knock will be soft or disappear when the engine is revved and then become really loud as the engine is decelerating. Rebuild is your best bet, and soon. If you keep running it like that it will only cause more damage and more money will have to be spent.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by strictlychevy96
Yea, I've had a few people tell me I spun the bearing. Where would I go from here? As in rebuild.
Depends on your goals and budget. First thing is to tear it down and assess the damage.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:20 PM

Default Engine knock

@hrcslam paint can rattle!! That’s what I hear intermittently. Then goes into limp mode. Code is always misfire cylinder 1. 6 mechanics have failed to diagnose. $2200 later, a couple new coil packs, injectors, plugs, and new timing belt, problem is still the same. I think the noise I’ve heard is related. I thought it could be a sticking valve, You think it’s crank sensor? Can I just replace sensor or would I have to have the relearn procedure done?

A video would help here. Engine knock (detonation) doesn't sound like someone knocking on your door, rod knock does though. Engine knock sou more like shaking a can of rattle can paint.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by strictlychevy96
I personally did not install the headers, I took it to an exhaust shop. And the car does have stock motor mounts.
I'm assuming it didn't knock prior to the install and when the car was dropped off, correct? Not trying to point fingers or anything, but hopefully the car wasn't "test drove" after the header install... Just a thought...
Old 12-21-2020, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

This is a 5 year old thread. Dano1968, you need to start a new thread with car info and your problems stated - not tack onto this one.

Quick Reply: Can a faulty Knock sensor or Crankshaft position sensor?