LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cheapest way for fan tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest way for fan tune

I know tuner cat and a cable would be the most direct route for setting fan temp lower but are there obd1 tuners readily available out there like the obd2? I'm just looking to get my fans set on earlier. That's all I'm really looking to do right now. So I can't justify $150 bucks just for fans. Could I pay a local guy to do this?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
I know tuner cat and a cable would be the most direct route for setting fan temp lower but are there obd1 tuners readily available out there like the obd2? I'm just looking to get my fans set on earlier. That's all I'm really looking to do right now. So I can't justify $150 bucks just for fans. Could I pay a local guy to do this?
I used a stand alone fan controller from O'Reilly Auto Parts before I got the stuff to do my own full tunes. Should be about $30-40 IIRC. I have a thread on LS1LT1.com called "my cooling fan mod" for instructions. But yours should be a dual relay set up vs the 3 relay my car has, so wiring should be easier.

I basically removed the relays, ignored the pcm signals, and wired the controller to the relay terminals (for easy removal for future tunes). I have since removed it (installed a few years ago) since I got all the tuning software. The controller is still working in one of my brothers car now.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hrcslam
I used a stand alone fan controller from O'Reilly Auto Parts before I got the stuff to do my own full tunes. Should be about $30-40 IIRC. I have a thread on LS1LT1.com called "my cooling fan mod" for instructions. But yours should be a dual relay set up vs the 3 relay my car has, so wiring should be easier.

I basically removed the relays, ignored the pcm signals, and wired the controller to the relay terminals (for easy removal for future tunes). I have since removed it (installed a few years ago) since I got all the tuning software. The controller is still working in one of my brothers car now.
Does the fan switch control both low and high fans? It would be nice to do both because I wouldn't want to prematurely burn my fans for being on high all the time.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
Does the fan switch control both low and high fans? It would be nice to do both because I wouldn't want to prematurely burn my fans for being on high all the time.
The one I used didn't. It was a dual fan controller, but turned them on high when they did come on. You could shop around and see if any are available that do. You can also manage that through setting the on/off temp.

Your other options are mail order tune, or buy the stuff to tune it your self, or manual switch.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Who tuned your car, they shouldn't charge that much to tweak the fan setting.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your really on a budget, I noticed once I deleted EGR/AIR I took the relay for it out and my fans came on at my thermostats rating.... It also made the check engine light come on every time as well, don't know if this has happened to anyone else before.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Does he have a '95 or below? If so TunerPro may be an option to where you could do it yourself. I have not used it as I have a '96 but I assume you would need to have a laptop and programming cable.

http://www.tunerpro.net/

Edit: You may need winflash too, so the above may be a bust. I think that comes with Tunercat.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Does he have a '95 or below? If so TunerPro may be an option to where you could do it yourself. I have not used it as I have a '96 but I assume you would need to have a laptop and programming cable.

http://www.tunerpro.net/

Edit: You may need winflash too, so the above may be a bust. I think that comes with Tunercat.
1993 has a chipped style pcm. 1994-1995 are flash. He has to burn chips to his car.

WinFlash is $20 IIRC. But I don't know if that works on the 1993 Chip style pcms.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It may not work. I bet your right and winflash is just for the '94 and up.

I have zero experience with '93 Z28's. Might need an EPROM burner for it. I'm not sure if they can be burned with a blank one in the PCM socket.

Looks like some good info here on a quick google search.

http://www.z28.com/threads/93-lt1.60356/
http://www.moates.net/

I'm one for wanting to do it myself, but many times end up spending more than it would cost just to have someone do it. But...of course the knowledge usually pays off in the future.

I guess it depends on how far he wants to go with it. TunerPro does have the '93 LT1 definitions.

Last edited by ACE1252; 09-14-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
If your really on a budget, I noticed once I deleted EGR/AIR I took the relay for it out and my fans came on at my thermostats rating.... It also made the check engine light come on every time as well, don't know if this has happened to anyone else before.
How did you do that? My A.I.R pump is deleted and I don't even think my EGR system works once that's deleted so I might as well take the whole system out. Btw my car has a 94 computer. I have a MAF sensor. My car isn't a 93 based on my username. My car is 04/94. I heard they switched how the fans run sometime in the 94 model year. So with my car being an April car does mine have a 2 or 3 relay?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

not sure about the relays but thats good that its a 94. You can do it yourself if you have a laptop. Just buy the cable and download tunercats. Its pretty easy to do, tons of walk throughs on it. Dont get to crazy with it though, maybe someone could tell you correct turn on temps for your degree t stat as well. Im kind of a believer that lt1's need some heat in them...just not 220º of it.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

If you have a 94, get the 12 pin ALDL to USB cable (less tgan $60 IIRC) and download Tuner Pro RT (free) with the correct definition files. Find Steveo at LS1LT1.COM and go to the link in his signature and download the .adx file from there. Also download Scan9495.exe from GaryDoug (also at LS1LT1.com), again free; Google it. Then get WinFlash from TunerCat ($20 IIRC).

For about $80 you can tune, datalog, and troubleshoot just about everything on your car yourself as many times as you want.

Quick Reply: Cheapest way for fan tune