LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTx 396 The Eternal-Infernal Build. Some progress...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OVA1
Busted my hump getting everything ready to fire the engine... Finally around 5:00 it was all together, radiator filled, fuel... battery & PCM installed.

Turned the key to the first position and the electrical system came alive. But I didn't hear the whir of the fuel pump. But I turned it over anyway. And for the first time in years, the engine turned, but it didn't fire.

Alas, a buddy of mine was in the shop when I got the Racetronix kit in last year and I let him install it... .

Anyone have any experience with the Racetronix 'direct to the Alternator' set up, in terms of common screw ups, resulting in nada?
You know I can't really comment on the racetronix deal, but your comment made me think that no matter how many times both LT1 motors I've had apart, there was always something so minute, yet so vital that prevented it from starting... I've had dead battery, randomly finding the radiator having a bust in the fins to where it leaks fluid out, cam dowel pin in the wrong optispark hole, forgot to put something on, had plug wires crossed... My most embarrassing though was my motor was finally built and all it needed was oil so I poured 5 quarts in and checked to see any obvious leaks, we'll there was all the oil on the ground cause I forgot to put the plug in... I renamed my motor BLT1 standing for Bad luck tester one! she's costed a lot of cash for a semi low outcome but boy it sure does feel good hopping in everyday and hearing that cam lope knowing I fought this motor and it's many tricks and problems but I came out on top and made it my b***h
Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
You know I can't really comment on the racetronix deal, but your comment made me think that no matter how many times both LT1 motors I've had apart, there was always something so minute, yet so vital that prevented it from starting... I've had dead battery, randomly finding the radiator having a bust in the fins to where it leaks fluid out, cam dowel pin in the wrong optispark hole, forgot to put something on, had plug wires crossed... My most embarrassing though was my motor was finally built and all it needed was oil so I poured 5 quarts in and checked to see any obvious leaks, we'll there was all the oil on the ground cause I forgot to put the plug in... I renamed my motor BLT1 standing for Bad luck tester one! she's costed a lot of cash for a semi low outcome but boy it sure does feel good hopping in everyday and hearing that cam lope knowing I fought this motor and it's many tricks and problems but I came out on top and made it my b***h
LOL! Yessir... they are a massive pain in the ***... but SO WORTH IT!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
Cover your bases by first giving the grey test wire by the PCM 12v to jumpstart the FP. If it primes, the pump and wiring are fine.

If not, then it could be the wiring, PCM, FP, or even some security junk. After my car sat for 2-3 years I had the TDR relay under the glovebox go bad. That kept it from priming or cranking at all so I had to ground it out(Yellow to GND, just used a frame bolt right next to it) to disable it. Relays can go bad pretty easily from sitting too long!
DAM'!

I didn't think about ANY of that crap! I just assumed my buddy screwed up the ground or something.

Thanks Puck.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! Yessir... they are a massive pain in the ***... but SO WORTH IT!
Whenever I crack down and decide to sell the ole' LT1, which I'll never get the heart to do it because this car has actually been good to me... I wanna get a brand new STI... So then I can join another forums site and complain about how big a piece of s**t I have and that they're all finicky and a PITA
Old 10-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Launching!

DAM'!

I didn't think about ANY of that crap! I just assumed my buddy screwed up the ground or something.

Thanks Puck.
On that racetronix kit make sure that the wire going to the alternator stud is making a good connection and check the small fuse that's in the same harness. When I was making sure my oil was primed before 1st startup I had removed that fuse and unplugged the coil packs just to make sure it didn't fire without being primed. Replaced that fuse and it fired right up. Also try the jumper wire that was previously mentioned.

Quick Reply: LTx 396 The Eternal-Infernal Build. Some progress...