LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

knock sensor killing timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
"grounding" of exhaust components under load where engine racks over some and the suspension compresses....can then cause some part of the exhaust to hit something and the PCM reads knock and pulls timing

very hard to induce this motor & suspension movement by just looking under a car on jack stands. Finding that point of contact can be hard so finding the clue "witness mark" on wherever it is hitting can help pin point it.

so if just looking under the car and there is say 1/8" clearance between something, especially PS, the engine TQ and subsequent suspension compression can be more than that 1/8" and you then have "grounding".
It's hard to see a witness mark where I think it is unless I remove the header. I think I am going to change my tranny mount (which I suspected of being bad anyways) and try to the header up just a little bit. If that doesn't work, I have some heat wrap I will slide in between to try and lessen the sound of metal on metal contact.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Working on it today. I'm going to replace the tranny mount. I can't find a pic of a transmission mount, but this looks like it's shot too me. Maybe this will help a little.
Name:  0A47E640-6E5A-4FBC-AC17-6B44FD40F6CB_zpso4rpm8tv.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  120.7 KB
Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had A 99 Z-28 that I chased false knock on for 7 years.. I racked my brain and spent thousands of dollars trying to figure it out. Thinking back it all started when my son bought me a SLP under drive harmonic balancer for Christmas. I took it off and replaced it with a stock one and the problem was solved! It had a faulty bond on the rubber to steel, it would pull timing out at about 4200 rpm and smooth back out at 4600 rpm, sounded like it was bumping the rev limiter. This was only at WOT. I guess a stock balancer could be bad as well. Worth checking... Bill
Old 06-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

My transmission mount was broken. Header that was basically sitting on k member. A little massaging too. Haven't had a chance to scan, but looks like this will work a lot better.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cookseyb
I had A 99 Z-28 that I chased false knock on for 7 years.. I racked my brain and spent thousands of dollars trying to figure it out. Thinking back it all started when my son bought me a SLP under drive harmonic balancer for Christmas. I took it off and replaced it with a stock one and the problem was solved! It had a faulty bond on the rubber to steel, it would pull timing out at about 4200 rpm and smooth back out at 4600 rpm, sounded like it was bumping the rev limiter. This was only at WOT. I guess a stock balancer could be bad as well. Worth checking... Bill
Thanks a lot. Someone else in here mentioned the balancer too. I marked the outer portion and the inner portion as they suggested to make sure that it was not spinning/twisting out of place when running. Not to say it isn't bad, but it did not twist.

A friend of mine has a LT1 that he is rebuilding. Maybe I'll try his to see if there is a difference. Worth a shot since it's only removing the belt and 3 bolts.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

I'm getting to the point where I might turn off my knock sensors if I can't fix it. The car is really low on power, I took it to the track, its highest trap was 106mph with a 13 flat. When I went to the track (wasn't planning on going, last minute schedule change) my y-pipe started banging on the tranny mount crossmember, worse than the header hitting the k -member. I know right where I need to fix it, but was already at the track. I also forgot my computer (it was last minute) but I know it's still pulling timing.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Good morning.

In the quest to make a very efficient CAI and datalog MAP values, I got the car on the dyno to do some controlled pulls rather than the street.

In doing so, I did 6 pulls between 3 different CAI setups (2 pulls per setup) only to find out later while looking at the data that the car was pulling upwards of 10.6* timing.

Key points:
-EVERY run the car pulled at least .3* right off the bat going WOT.
-Two of the 6 run retard climbs to 10* (on 2 different CAI setups)
-One run retard never went above 1*
-Car has been dyno tuned maybe 2 years ago by the same shop I just dyno'd the car and I trust them.
-Running 93octane with full exhaust
-Car did not spit/spudder through the pull and sounds normal.
-Daily driving car feels perfectly normal.

Possible causes I have come to find:
-Bad gas(currently 1/2 tank left and waiting to use up current tank)
-Exhaust hitting something (found tight clearance between header and frame, remedied but still have issues)
-Knock sensor going bad(confirmed voltage and KS resistance to be within spec)

These pulls lost me about 10hp/10tq with this timing issue. I was wondering if anyone with KS experience would have have an opinion on what to tackle first given my description.

Thanks a lot.
I moved the knock sensors from under intake to bottom of the block guessing in same areas as an ls3. Dont put them next to headers/manifolds if i need to say more you shouldn't be under a hood of a vehicle lol. I was having similar issues solved everything. Oriellys had on the shelf male and female pigtail ends for the knock to extend the wires but I made my own set up with butt connectors and shrink tube over that to seal the hole and won't be exposed, it will be if you use regular harness and used that liquid tape around it where it's pinch together just to be safe cause it doesn't look that water tight to me. I have done it a few times it has always been the knock sensor at back of motor (sensor b) and you could just do the one witch worked the same as both and the rear I run on bottom of the block on the driver side you will need male and female pigtail ends to run it back to the front one an extended wire to bottom one. Number of ways to go about it but any knock sensor in the valley pan is going to be a problem once you start adding bolt ons intake, headers, exhaust, bigger throttle body, cold air intake will mess with the sink of things. The c5 Corvettes are the worst for that crap. Need those things right on the block.

Quick Reply: knock sensor killing timing