LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Water Pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Water Pump questions

Hi everyone new here. I have a 1993 TA 5.7 LT1. Just picked it up last year has about 46,000 original miles. So I noticed after low coolant light kept coming on. That I was leaking coolant through the weep hole of WP. So I am in the middle of replacing it.

Carefully avoiding a coolant mess on the opti, I have removed the original one. So looking at the new WP there are two gaskets, and also a little o-ring. So not sure what the o-ring is for (other then putting it somewhere on the shaft) I did some google searching.

I came across a post on the water pump drive seal. Now mine appears to have nothing wrong with it. So I am wondering if in fact that this drive seal needs to be replaced also when doing the WP? Do these things wear out also? And also if someone can tell me about that little black o-ring and where it goes.

Thank you for any answers.

KA
Old 02-09-2016, 03:13 AM
TECH Resident

Only thing I can think of is the drive splines for the Waterpump drive... They do get brittle & break!!! The cars are 20+ years old already the rubber Orings need replaced LoL
Also Read the Stickies I think theres a write up on Coolant Light & the Sensor that is associated with it thats in the res of the radiator...
Old 02-09-2016, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

O-rings go on the shafts to keep dirt out of the coupler. Grease the splines.

http://shbox.com/ci/water_pump.jpg

If the water pump drive seal is not leaking, I would not bother it. Any seal wears out eventually.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM

Cool thank you. What type of grease will work? What exactly is the splines, lol?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:44 PM

Great pic now I see whats up. TY
Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

if you lost enough water from the WP weep hole it is very likely your opti got pissed on..

It would be advised to remove the cap to see if there is any coolant residue inside and clean it out. You likely need to remove the rotor also and the plate under that and the optical timing wheel to see everything but just looking inside initially will show if crud is inside. Recommended to use loc-tite on rotor screws when putting rotor back on

just a problem with the LT1 platform when WP leaks from weep hole.

Like Rob said if your WP drive seal does not leak now it should be OK....but if you have to use any force getting the spline coupler off of it that force will disturb its seal and chances are greater than not, IMHO, the seal will start to leak after you install the new WP

FelPro makes a gasket/seal kit for timing cover sold at most auto part stores for around $12 that has everything (and more) that you need including WP gaskets. New O ring should go on WP & Opti drive splines. Use regular grease on splines/inside coupler

Some also do a hollowed out 90 degree zerk fitting and tube inserted into the WP weep hole to divert any future leaks from WP away from Opti...or convert to a electric water pump
Old 02-13-2016, 03:02 PM

Default seal

Originally Posted by ksa84
Hi everyone new here. I have a 1993 TA 5.7 LT1. Just picked it up last year has about 46,000 original miles. So I noticed after low coolant light kept coming on. That I was leaking coolant through the weep hole of WP. So I am in the middle of replacing it.

Carefully avoiding a coolant mess on the opti, I have removed the original one. So looking at the new WP there are two gaskets, and also a little o-ring. So not sure what the o-ring is for (other then putting it somewhere on the shaft) I did some google searching.

I came across a post on the water pump drive seal. Now mine appears to have nothing wrong with it. So I am wondering if in fact that this drive seal needs to be replaced also when doing the WP? Do these things wear out also? And also if someone can tell me about that little black o-ring and where it goes.

Thank you for any answers.

KA
It keeps the grease in and dirt out. There is 1 on each side of the coupler

Quick Reply: LT1 Water Pump questions