LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need opinions please..

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinions please..

Power glide or th400 for 5 second nitrous setup... opinions please..
Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by criticalx
Power glide or th400 for 5 second nitrous setup... opinions please..
Th400 will likely be cheaper and easier. Doesn't necessarily make it the better choice though. Do you have a budget?
Old 02-15-2016, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

A few builds I have followed and actually seen run (1/4 mi) had this progression. 4L60E=boom, 4L80E=boom, Glide= low 8's

I believe the Glide will weigh less than the 400 also. At that level nothing is plug & play or cheap
Old 02-15-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ******
A few builds I have followed and actually seen run (1/4 mi) had this progression. 4L60E=boom, 4L80E=boom, Glide= low 8's

I believe the Glide will weigh less than the 400 also. At that level nothing is plug & play or cheap
4L80E/TH400 is the same trans essentially and plenty of people have made them live in 8 second street cars. Glide will take less power to turn and weigh less but will take more money/effort to build properly.

Many guys out there with minimally modified TH400/4L80e and putting down good power with little issue. Most glides putting down any kind of real power are custom built from front to back.

The powerglide will likely need a looser converter to make up for the gearing, which will add up to a less street friendly vehicle among other factors, it will make up for it on the strip though. The TH400 will be easier on the wallet and street manners (typically).

The true question is how deep are your pockets, how much do you drive it on the street, and what do you want out of the car?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
4L80E/TH400 is the same trans essentially and plenty of people have made them live in 8 second street cars. Glide will take less power to turn and weigh less but will take more money/effort to build properly.

Many guys out there with minimally modified TH400/4L80e and putting down good power with little issue. Most glides putting down any kind of real power are custom built from front to back.

The powerglide will likely need a looser converter to make up for the gearing, which will add up to a less street friendly vehicle among other factors, it will make up for it on the strip though. The TH400 will be easier on the wallet and street manners (typically).

The true question is how deep are your pockets, how much do you drive it on the street, and what do you want out of the car?
I got a glide and stall and shifter in mind.. I never drive car.. maybe seen 100 miles in 8 months.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

If you got the money and hardly street drive it, a glide will probably be the better choice. It won't be faster in EVERY setup, but more often than not it seems to be.

Quick Reply: Need opinions please..