LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Obd2 car, emissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obd2 car, emissions

I live in st louis mo. We have emissions on cars 96 and newer. I dont have a camaro yet. Should i just get a 93-95 and not worry about? I found a clean 96 but now im thinking about having to deal with emissions. I plan on longtubes asap and a cam in the near future. How hard is a 96 and up to pass? They just plug into the car to check the sensors or whatever they do.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all they do is plug in and don't do any visual inspection or sniffer test you should be perfectly fine with the '96. I did that for several years with my 97 and emissions.

Obd1 is easier to tune since there are more programs out there. Obd2 is tunable by most mail order guys. I personally swapped to obd1. But if you have to do emissions then sticking with obd2 is your only option if you buy the 96
Old 02-16-2016, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm passing in NC with my '96. Kooks longtubes w/air & EGR, dual cat y-pipe, and a CC503.

However we only have plug in checks to the PCM. No tailpipe testing.

The way the system works here(if I'm not mistaken) is they allow two emissions checks to be "Not Ready" during inspection. My catalyst check has been "Not Ready" for two years. The driver's side cat is not working anymore and is keeping the system from going "Complete". My plans are to get a new dual cat y-pipe in the future.

When both my cats were working, the system was all complete on the emissions checks.

It is not setting the SES light either.

Just be sure and check local laws first and, if possible, about what criteria they use in the PCM for "passing".
Old 02-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

St.Louis county is just an OBD test and does not check actual tailpipe emissions. Tuned correctly the 96 and up cars have no problem passing. You still will have to find the right inspector to take it to as even a vehicle that does not require an emissions test is supposed to fail a safety inspection if it does not have the required emissions components installed.

To pass the emissions the check engine light needs to work in bulb test, not be on when running, and not have any emissions related trouble codes. For that car you are allowed two monitors to be not ready.

If the 96 is a good deal it would not keep me from buying it. However the 94 & 95 cars are cheaper/easier to get tuned/diy tune so that is why I generally look for those first.

Quick Reply: Obd2 car, emissions