LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Reviving my 97 Z28, Knuckles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my radio in today finally, went ahead and soldered/heat shrinks the GM88+ harness to the pioneer harness and installed it. Sounds and looks much better that factory.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Well while I've been battling a radio issue, I installed my LED gauge cluster bulbs, along with LED interior bulbs. I went ahead and did all white to keep it looking somewhat stock and not rice. All I can say is WOW! If you haven't put in some LED interior bulbs, you should. The difference is night and day, with all the leds on you can see everything in the entire car, super handy if you drop something at night or loading up groceries at night etc. I'll post a pic of the interior bulbs tonight.

the pic doesn't do them justice. They are beyond white in real life, not that dull warm yellow color.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
Well while I've been battling a radio issue, I installed my LED gauge cluster bulbs, along with LED interior bulbs. I went ahead and did all white to keep it looking somewhat stock and not rice. All I can say is WOW! If you haven't put in some LED interior bulbs, you should. The difference is night and day, with all the leds on you can see everything in the entire car, super handy if you drop something at night or loading up groceries at night etc. I'll post a pic of the interior bulbs tonight.

the pic doesn't do them justice. They are beyond white in real life, not that dull warm yellow color.
I must be getting old. There's No way I'd do bright white dash lights. It hurts the eyes. Yellow is much easier on eyes at night. Green is the easiest on the eyes. That's why night vision is in Green.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hrcslam
I must be getting old. There's No way I'd do bright white dash lights. It hurts the eyes. Yellow is much easier on eyes at night. Green is the easiest on the eyes. That's why night vision is in Green.
You can always get green. my friend did green in his S10, but I just personally prefer the white. In my previous car (integra) I got the 7 pcs led bulbs for the gauges and it strained my eyes. This time I got 4pcs LEDs so they're are less actual led output lights on the bulb itself. If that makes any sense.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Got my dash carpet from lethal interiors today! This thing is excellent, the fit couldn't be anymore perfect! Very well built and stitched great. No reflection off the dash pad now, and sheds some interior temperature down some great price for a great product, friendly customer service and fast shipping!

Nice little touch for the defrost area.

Still need to Velcro it down to make it flush with the dash structure. That explains the little gap between the carpet and dash-ish area.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Finally got my 2 step for the 6AL! Gonna run it as 3000-3200 module 1, and run a 6200-6400 module 2. I'll just see what works best for me and what I like.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

I finished up wiring,routing, and mounting the 2-Step, thing is kick ***. It's gonna be hard not to hit this thing at every stop light lol.

I have to extend these wires so I can actually mount this thing and use it.

Ready to be soldered!

Soldered!

I had to lengthen the ground wire, and hot wire by soldering them so I could get a good ground as well as run the red wire into the car. Got a 12v power source and used a inline fuse holder that I also had to solder in, and ran it to a momentary switch. Just a temp thing until i get a pistol grip with a button. Here's some more pics of how its routed.

Mid install. Use self tapping screws if you install one of these. Makes the job much easier.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Been a while. Been working a lot lately, trying to save up to get a few more goodies for the car. Since then a lot has been done though, gave the car a full clay bar treatment, did running compound, buffed, polished, then waxed buffed and polished. I went all out on the chrome wheels with wadding polish and some specialty chrome restorer stuff. Also I hated the bent hurst shifter so I went ahead and installed a WS6 store short stick on the hurst. Way better now. Got a windshield, got my 2 step and 6al connections more proper with solder rather than butt splices. Wish the previous owner would have just bought the harness but oh well what can you do. Right now the plans for the car are fairly small, but still require some saving!
LS1 front brake swap
Brakemotive 98-02 front rotors w/Hawks HPS pads.
Brakemotive 93-97 rear rotors w/Hawks HPS pads.
New Bilstein HD shocks (current ones are blown)
Strano springs
Founders adjst pan hard bar
Founders STB
Founders roto joint LCA's
Founders Relo brackets
Poly Trans Mount
Poly motor Mounts
17x9.5" OE SS clones
275s on all 4s
I want a mild street cam so I'm probably gonna have LE give me a custom grind, and as far as upgrading the valve train, Since the cam will be more mild I'll go with Alex's springs, CC mag 1.6rr's, 1 Pc Chromoly pushrods, guide plates, car already has summit brand lifters with less than 6k on them. Will these be fine with a mild cam??

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 06-06-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the hardwork is paying off, looking good!
Old 06-06-2016, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RicanSkylark
All the hardwork is paying off, looking good!
Thanks! Here are some pics.

Even waxed the engine bay, lets see how long this will last lol

Actuallysurprised how well the car came out looking with the rubbing compound, polishing compound and final wax with lots of buffing and elbow grease... The chrome wheels even surprised me.

Just a comparison of the hurst that I hated and the new short stick!

Old 06-06-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Looking good. I think a lot of people are surprised what can happen with rubbing compound, wax, and hard work. Often the car looks like it got a new paint job.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! Here are some pics.

Even waxed the engine bay, lets see how long this will last lol

Actuallysurprised how well the car came out looking with the rubbing compound, polishing compound and final wax with lots of buffing and elbow grease... The chrome wheels even surprised me.

Just a comparison of the hurst that I hated and the new short stick!

Car is looking badass! Just got my 94 Trans am GT going again!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thetransamkid
Car is looking badass! Just got my 94 Trans am GT going again!
Yeah I've been enjoying looking at your thread. Reminds me a lot of mine. Post a start up video!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Looking good. I think a lot of people are surprised what can happen with rubbing compound, wax, and hard work. Often the car looks like it got a new paint job.
Thank you. I never would have thought it would have came out as well as it did. There are still a few spots of "clear coat cancer" but other than that the rest is fine, no fade/discoloration or dents. How has your car been coming along lately?
Old 06-06-2016, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you. I never would have thought it would have came out as well as it did. There are still a few spots of "clear coat cancer" but other than that the rest is fine, no fade/discoloration or dents. How has your car been coming along lately?
It's running and driving strong. It's back to DD duties. No mods or work planned for the near future though. Got a buddies 1993 Vette to work on in exchange for some new apolstery in the Camaro. He does aircraft interiors for a living and gonna hook me up with some Gulfstream Leather for my seats if I can get his Vette running again. He's had it in 3 shops over the last 2 years and it hasn't run the whole time!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good. If you are big on detailing and cleaning things out, one of the $100 electric pressure washers around 1800psi from one of the big box stores is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HellTeeOne
Looking good. If you are big on detailing and cleaning things out, one of the $100 electric pressure washers around 1800psi from one of the big box stores is worth it's weight in gold.
I clean every fricken crevice nook and cranny on any car lol. Especially this one. I washed the under side and cleaned the **** outta the rear end, put on some primer and hammer tone paint... Etc. I just really like a 4th gen to look like it just was sold back in 97, I do however like it to be lower than stock... but other than that I've been looking into getting a set of SS clones for it. I'll try the pressure washer trick out though.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Great job, love to see one brought back from the dead!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Been forever since the last time I posted, I have gotten some more cool/fun stuff done to the car. I have almost pieced together everything for the 98-02 front brake swap, just need some rotors, pads and spindles! I'm going with the black zinc coated, drilled/slotted brakemotive rotors, LS1 style front LT1 rear, Hawks HPS pads and stainless steel brake lines. I was also pretty fed up with the HORRIBLE stock headlights, I really wanted the BLS kit but unfortunately I don't have the funds for that so I went ahead and ordered some Sylvania Silverstars, took the old housings cleaned them up and siliconed the silver stars in, and then after some very fine tweaking and adjusting, they're actually pretty good. Not bad for 50$. also, ordered some 6000K LED bulbs to fit in the stock fog light housings to keep a factory look Since the Fogs were out I decided to plasti dip that area of the bumper cover, this is it after drying.

I might just leave the fogs out honesty because it looks so much meaner! Anyways, not much but I haven't had a lot of time to work on it lately. Still saving up for a custom cam, headers and supporting valve train stay tuned!
Old 06-22-2016, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Oh! I also forgot to mention I finally installed my Prothane transmission mount, and wow! What a difference! To be fair my old rubber one was shot, so the difference is much greater than if the stock one was fine, but still it feels great, especially during hard shifts or slow take offs in traffic, also love the way it makes the car rumble and shake A few other minor things that I forgot to include in the above post were, Oil changed to Castrol Magnatec full synthetic 5w-30, with a Mobil M1-302 filter, (the very large one...) , magnetic oil drain plug, and ordered some sway bars! Waiting for them to arrive and put them on the car

Quick Reply: Reviving my 97 Z28, Knuckles.