LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Reviving my 97 Z28, Knuckles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also picked up some miscellaneous knick knacks her and there that the car needed, Stant radiator cap, hood shocks because the old ones won't hold the weight of the hood up, a fresh battery and a headlight. Also had to replace EVERY bulb in the tail lights, along with the two side marker lights in the rear lol..
Old 03-27-2016, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Wamart battery FTW, $89 and a 5 year warranty.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Wamart battery FTW, $89 and a 5 year warranty.
I actually got this one from a local guy who takes old batteries and restores them. This was a blem (explains the yellow top) 48$ and got a free 3 year warranty for giving him my old battery.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Had a pretty good picking at the ole pick n pull today. Picked up a some needs and a few wants!

Found a good cargo flap.

Black mirror with broken glass needed replacing... Plus I don't like black, yuck.

So i replaced it with red, with functioning manual mirror glass

Also needed a passenger side mirror, luckily also found one that wasn't broken and had glass!

Not from the junkyard but finally got the new hood struts on, new radiator cap and battery.

Finished up my fan switch, Teed off the wires so if i forgot the PCM would still kick them on.

Found all the relays I needed from the pick n pull.

Even color matched the wires to the switch!

I also found some 93-96 tail lights thank goodness!

So much better IMO.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Got some cosmetic stuff done today. Wire brushed, purple power, SOS pad rinse, wet sanded, put primer then sanded and painted the drive shaft gloss black with rustoleum enamel. Gunked, wire brushed sos pad and rinsed transmission and bell housing. Then tomorrow I'm going to paint the rear end with some truck bed liner. I'll prep it similar to the driveshaft and mask everything off. Parts should be here soon!

Clean as I could get it lol

Gunk and a wire brush is a must for cleaning this!

Driveshaft. Hopefully it'll hold up well with the elements.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice scores from the pick n pull.. But I personally love the 97-02 tail lights
Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
Nice scores from the pick n pull.. But I personally love the 97-02 tail lights
Haha to each they're own. I never have been a fan of that amber color
Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
Haha to each they're own. I never have been a fan of that amber color
Agreed, way too European look to them IMO, it's a CAMARO , not a beemer or audi.... It's the antithesis of euro performance cars, so why try to emulate them?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Parts got here this afternoon. Excited to install! Got the trans/bell housing cleaned up along with the transmission crossmember. Gonna wipe the flywheel off with some brake cleaner on a rag and start putting it back together.
Edit; My transmission is a MM6, so score. I already fucked up and let all the fluid out on accident while removing, will Penzoil DEX II or DEX III work? We have pretty much a life time supply of this stuff at work. My boss said I could get a gallon if i needed it.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dex 3 is what you need.

Liking this build. Makes me miss my dam turd even more. Hopefully my engine comes out next week. But hopefully you get it back on the road soon. Should be loads of fun. Amazing how cheap you can buy 6spd LT1 cars these days.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Dex 3 is what you need.

Liking this build. Makes me miss my dam turd even more. Hopefully my engine comes out next week. But hopefully you get it back on the road soon. Should be loads of fun. Amazing how cheap you can buy 6spd LT1 cars these days.
Thanks man. Good to know, brought home a gallon of Dex3 from work today, and I got the weekend off so hopefully it'll be going soon and I can post a start up video and first drive off. Yeah, the LT1/T56 are a nice price now if you can find one that isn't absolutely beyond repair. I got lucky with this one, it's the original owner and he had an entire binder packed to the brim from every service record and every last nut and bolt that was ever touched on this car. The motor only has 2500-3000k on it. Body has 150, but it's got a full catback, air foil, already has BMR on Bilsteins, and what I thought was a moroso CAI was actually a lingenfelter! Hell, when I was initially inspecting everything when I first got it home, it's got a 1LE throttle body elbow that isn't even ripped!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Default Almost ready!

Well it's been a few days, I replaced the rear main seal, pilot bearing, had my flywheel resurfaced, put/threadlocked/torqued the flywheel bolts, and pressure plate. Before I put the transmission back in I'm waiting on my MSD 8876 harness (should be here Thursday). I noticed as soon as I got the car the MSD box is butt-spliced in... So I'm gonna go ahead and solder everything that was cut and just use the MSD 8876 harness. Just seems more proper to me. A few other things I'll be soldering is, this crazy MAF spliced wiring job.

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 04-05-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Got a lot done today on my day off, got the trans back in and bolted up, the torque arm mount/bracket back on, got the driveshaft back in... and got halfway finished with the pre-bled slave cylinder assembly. All I have to say is **** that steering shaft. Tomorrow I'll finish that, put transmission fluid in, bolt shifter back up, fill the motor up with some good oil and I'll take it for a drive and post some videos!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Default Finished!

Well guys finally finished and got the car out the garage! It ran really good, held good oil PSI and after bleeding the cooling system it will hold around 185* going down the road and will slowly climb if sitting, but I have my fan switch if I want to stop it. Now it needs a GOOD washing and waxing... And especially a good interior cleaning Gonna drive it some on my road see if the CEL goes off if it doesn't I'll get a temporary ten day tag, drive to safe lite get my windshield and get it inspected!

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 04-10-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Default Cleaning day!

Got some appearance stuff done today, I used some simple green and a toothbrush with lots of rags to clean up the grime off the engine bay used some STP to shine up the black pieces in the bay, even STP'd the weather stripping for a nice shiny look! Cleaned out the doorwells, trunk wells, polished up the chrome on the wheels and gave it a good washing... soon I'm gonna plasti dip the headlight area and the sail panel and roof top so it won't look as redneck

Before..

After! Much better.

All shined up.

Mint!!

Pretty clean carpet to be 19 years old.

Pretty clean carpet to be 19 years old.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Default Help!

I ran my car out of gas on accident and ever since then the CEL has been on... It only popped 3 codes. 2 of which were "pending" codes

P0160 which was pending
P1371 which was also pending
And lastly P1652 that was not pending. Any ideas?? I cleared them with my scanner tool... But I haven't driven it yet to see if it'll throw them again... What do you guys think? My Speedo works but my tach if I turn the key will bounce up and down even if the car isn't running... As far as the other two I think they might be where the car stumbled for so long and ran outta gas??

Last edited by VoyagerCamaro; 04-16-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

While waiting on parts I figured I'd get these headlight panels dipped because they've really been bothering me..

Sanded, fine sanded and scotch brite the panel area, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, now time to mask off surrounding areas.

Masked off and plasti dipped!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Also another project going on while waiting on parts to get here, yesterday the weather was really nice so I decided to take my old sagging headliner out, and get ready to reupholster it myself, I'm still waiting on the fabric to get here from Joanne's.

Old baked on nasty foam.

Cleaned up as best as I can get it.

The wind picked the headliner up and took it a few feet and of course it had to take a chunk out when it landed...

Didn't go to crazy here because the courtesy light plastic holds this in place.

Hopefully this will be fixed and there will be no more feeling trapped from the headliner sagging down so far.. Lol
Old 04-20-2016, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Headlight panels finally dried and cured properly. Looks 200% better.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming along, keep on keeping on. Looking good.

Quick Reply: Reviving my 97 Z28, Knuckles.