LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil leak from gasket. Can I still seal it with gasket maker?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak from gasket. Can I still seal it with gasket maker?

I have a canton oil pan and used a Felpro oil pan gasket. It is leaking from the front of the oil pan. I tried just swabbing some standard black RTV around the front, and it helped, but did not help enough and it is still leaking bad enough it needs to get fixed.

There is enough clearance that I have been able to put a jack under the bell housing of the tranny, and pull the motor mounts and raise the motor about an inch. Enough that I can drop the oil pan to have access to the oil pan gasket. It does not seem that there is enough room to replace the gasket (this is a new gasket anyways and has had zero miles on it).

I bought some Permatek The Right Stuff 1 minute gasket maker. If I applied this in between the oil pan gasket and the block, and between the oil pan gasket and the oil pan in the front, what are my chances of sealing the leak?

I don't think it is physically possible to replace the oil pan gasket without pulling the motor (which I really don't wish to do).
Old 03-25-2016, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

if you can drop the pan enough to get some RTV between gasket and pan, it should seal. You will need to clean any oil from the surfaces

on pan install you run a bead of RTV all the way across front & back or minimally the 4 corners where the curve part of the pan and flat parts are

I have always used Permatex black "ultra" but some use "the right stuff"

best to let RTV cure overnight before adding oil and starting motor.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up when I switched pans I used a felpro gasket also and did not check on the block nor the old pan if the spacer for the bolt from the old gasket came out. One of the spacers from the old gasket stuck to the block on one corner and once I put everything back together I had two spacers in one corner which of course caused my leak. Just a heads up man! Good luck with your issue.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks. I don't think spacers are my issue, but it's a good point never the less.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

spacers from the old gasket can & will sometimes stick to the engine side....you need to look before installing new gasket or it will absolutely leak at that point

Quick Reply: Oil leak from gasket. Can I still seal it with gasket maker?