LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Nastiest Lt1 in existence, at the shootout today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Knew someone who put a cage together with PVC pipe. Got away with it for awhile before he was found out.
I remember reading about a guy who did that in Hotrod years ago. Still think about it every now and then for some bizarre reason. I think he got props on a good looking cage until they grabbed it. WTF? lol.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I remember reading about a guy who did that in Hotrod years ago. Still think about it every now and then for some bizarre reason. I think he got props on a good looking cage until they grabbed it. WTF? lol.
This literally made me spit out my beer. 😂😂😂
Old 09-07-2016, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

And Is one of the cars you are talking about giving him something to think about, that impala with the big blower that smoked out the track one pass?
Old 09-07-2016, 01:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Game ova
Lol, just havin fun man. I remember seeing your car that day, but can't remember what it ran like. I can see in your sig that your car is indeed a strong runner. But in all seriousness, your car is more of a racecar than street car right? And if it was running the times that are in your sig, I can't see how you would have given that 3rd Gen a close run. And this is even with him hotlapping the car. Looking at your 60ft....ET....and trap, I just can't see it. With the 60ft....that's an instant 2 cars on the last amber. ET....Bout 3 cars.....and lord....the trap....almost a full 20mph. Again not bagging on you or your car, mine isn't even on the same planet with either your car. ...or his lol.
It's not as much of a streetcar as his is, but it can be driven on the street. Just by looking at my times in my sig you tell that it wouldn't have been a close run, huh? lol. The time in my sig is only the 2nd pass on the new combo, different tire, different gear, different heads, different valvetrain, and different fuel. Add to the fact that it threw the blower belt at 1000', even on that lazy pass had the belt stayed on it it would have gone low 8.30s or high .20's at about 165mph. Fast enough to be very competitive.

Not to mention Miles' car, that gorgeous black Z28, he went an 8.40 in qualifying, so his is no slouch either.

The fastest car doesn't always win.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
It's not as much of a streetcar as his is, but it can be driven on the street. Just by looking at my times in my sig you tell that it wouldn't have been a close run, huh? lol. The time in my sig is only the 2nd pass on the new combo, different tire, different gear, different heads, different valvetrain, and different fuel. Add to the fact that it threw the blower belt at 1000', even on that lazy pass had the belt stayed on it it would have gone low 8.30s or high .20's at about 165mph. Fast enough to be very competitive.

Not to mention Miles' car, that gorgeous black Z28, he went an 8.40 in qualifying, so his is no slouch either.

The fastest car doesn't always win.
Yea, that's typically how it works, a comparison of slips usually indicates who would win....that is unless the two cars are closely matched. I mean, can only go by the info that's given...which is why I used the times in your sig....as usually those are the best times. But anyway, yea....that black z28 was one of the other strong runners that day. DEFINITELY a good looking car!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

For example, compare my time slip with his......it's blatantly obvious what would happen lol.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe next time tone down on the **** talking, especially since it's not your car, or a car you are affiliated with. The LT1 community is a tight-knit group, and most get along great. Show some respect for the other competitors. It's one thing if they were racing Mustangs, or even LS1 cars, but this was an LT1- specific event. We are all in the same boat, and respect each other's combos, cars, goals, and accomplishments. A lot of us have been in the LT1 game for a long time, there's reasons we have not jumped ship, and one of those is the other people in the community.

Don't get me wrong, Tyree's car is one of the baddest LT1 cars on the planet (next to Stephan's car, which, ironically Tyree built that car too), but it is capable of being beat- ANYTHING can happen in a drag race.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
Maybe next time tone down on the **** talking, especially since it's not your car, or a car you are affiliated with. The LT1 community is a tight-knit group, and most get along great. Show some respect for the other competitors. It's one thing if they were racing Mustangs, or even LS1 cars, but this was an LT1- specific event. We are all in the same boat, and respect each other's combos, cars, goals, and accomplishments. A lot of us have been in the LT1 game for a long time, there's reasons we have not jumped ship, and one of those is the other people in the community.

Don't get me wrong, Tyree's car is one of the baddest LT1 cars on the planet (next to Stephan's car, which, ironically Tyree built that car too), but it is capable of being beat- ANYTHING can happen in a drag race.
A couple of things, one I don't "talk down" about ANYONES combo.....two, I've been around more than long enough to know anything can be beat. But, for whatever reason....your feelings are hurt. And for that, I will do the right thing and apologize. As I've already mentioned, my car is slower than most on this forum...so it's not like I'm attempting to be the "big man on campus" or something. And really, I'm not even really into Lt cars in general anymore.....but I respect ANY car, be it Lt...or Ls that is fast. It's clear, that you believe I've slammed your car....when I can assure you that was not the case on this end. And with that, I'm done with the thread.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll say it. LTX's Suck! Yeah, I am jealous of 400+ cubes, stock type drivability, AC, power steering, power brakes, non siamese intake and exhaust ports, sub 15 degree valve angles, 100 lb less block weight, and unlimited aftermarket support.

The only thing the LTX's have over the LSX's is that they sound so much better at idle and WOT. The LSX's just have that chop idle with a pause that I think sounds shitty.

My next combo will not be an LTX unless there is some sort of aftermarket block but even then I would rather build a SBC or LSX just due to the aftermarket support.

Kudos to the guys sticking with their LTX's and running the numbers. I am one of those guys but haven't ran the new combo yet due to bugs and the hot and humid weather. My combo is not too streetable by most people's standards but with no truck or trailer I am driving the 30+ miles to the local track.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Long live the LTX.. I'm going to drive mines till the wheels fall off.. And when they fall off THEN AND ONLY THEN would I consider swaping to LSX..
Old 09-07-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
A couple of things, one I don't "talk down" about ANYONES combo.....two, I've been around more than long enough to know anything can be beat. But, for whatever reason....your feelings are hurt. And for that, I will do the right thing and apologize. As I've already mentioned, my car is slower than most on this forum...so it's not like I'm attempting to be the "big man on campus" or something. And really, I'm not even really into Lt cars in general anymore.....but I respect ANY car, be it Lt...or Ls that is fast. It's clear, that you believe I've slammed your car....when I can assure you that was not the case on this end. And with that, I'm done with the thread.
For someone that doesnt "talk down" you sure did a lot of it.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^^^^
Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I didn't see where he was **** talking. That post by ponyhntr actually surprised me because I didn't see anything anyone would be mad about. But I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. I think the OP was just super stoked about that 3rd gen is all.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

^^^^^^^
Old 09-08-2016, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With an aftermarket block I'd rather run an LTx then an LS.

Benefit of reverse cooling for higher compression, and we'd finally have practical access to SBC race heads like SB2.2s that we can't run now due to our small bore. I don't think many appreciate what that would mean...we're talking probably close to 4 digit NA numbers from a max effort LT1 - and even more attractive 800hp on pump gas would not be out of the question.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck

Benefit of reverse cooling for higher compression, and we'd finally have practical access to SBC race heads like SB2.2s that we can't run now due to our small bore. I don't think many appreciate what that would mean...we're talking probably close to 4 digit NA numbers from a max effort LT1 - and even more attractive 800hp on pump gas would not be out of the question.
I wouldnt be mad at either of those options. The aftermarket block would definitely keep me away from LS stuff just to be different.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BSmiff
I wouldnt be mad at either of those options. The aftermarket block would definitely keep me away from LS stuff just to be different.
Before we got punked on the aftermarket race block, I had online shopping carts of used SB2.2 takeoffs and Nascar spider intakes...basically starting the foundation for a nasty pump gas 434 solid roller setup. When they scrapped the idea, I was pretty pissed. N20Dave made over 700hp NA using a nitrous cam and shrouding the valves on a small bore 396 LT1 setup...with the proper bore for the heads and another 30+ci's it would be an absolute monster.

It wouldn't be cheap at all though...pistons, valvetrain, and headers would all be crazy expensive.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

It wouldn't be cheap at all though...pistons, valvetrain, and headers would all be crazy expensive.
And that's what's going to keep this new push for the LTx block at bay. Not enough willing to spend the money to realize block's full potential. Especially if it is true where you'd be almost $3,000 deep into just a bare block.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mean 4 digit power like you can do with a stock 4.8 or 5.3 from the junk yard?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob
You mean 4 digit power like you can do with a stock 4.8 or 5.3 from the junk yard?
Anything can make power on 20lbs of boost lol

Quick Reply: Nastiest Lt1 in existence, at the shootout today.