LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam set up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
regarding the printed stats of the springs you note, many have found the LT4 springs don't hold up well for very long in real world use when used with LT1 valves/heads.
Got data to back it up? I ask because I simply have not seen, dare I say, any posts over the years complaining about LT4 spring issues.

Now do I run them? No. I elected for a CC503 and went with PAC1518 springs on an excellent group purchase offer. However, if he is budget limited, then the hotcam kit is an excellent way to get a good bump in power over stock.

I do strongly agree with you on getting the best components you can afford.

I think the 1518's did save my engine at one point when I stupidly hit 2nd instead of 4th. It buried the tach when I let out the clutch, but they managed to control the valves to where I didn't snap one off.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Got data to back it up? I ask because I simply have not seen, dare I say, any posts over the years complaining about LT4 spring issues.

well Sir I am not one to bookmark threads about stuff several report as issues with the LT4 springs outside of use on LT4 heads.....but a google search "LT4 hotcam spring issues"...brought up several threads...this being one (post 3 on)

My friend did the kit in his LT1...it was OK on day one but 1st time at the track when he was shifting at 6200 he noticed valve float with his hot cam using LT1 heads w/1:6 RR. On the street he didn't take it up to 6200 so he didn't notice it then.

Annnnyyyyway, like I said they would "work" (meaning fit) but would show signs of fading sooner than later at high shift RPM on the LT1's. The $ is cheap for them....maybe an example of you get what you pay for

Just my $.02

I have heard good reports on Howards springs and Alex springs which both are budget friendly. Just have no personal experience with them

I am a member of the 2 piece Comp 918 spring club so I can say don't use those. The cam involved spec was 918 springs. Fortunately I did not have the usual engine carnage as a result of the spring breaking

Regarding the LT4 spring, I have read people use them on stock cam, 1:5 rocker LT1 motors with good results but in those cases RPM's don't see much above 5200-5500 rpm.

Hot cam makes its power at high RPM so if OP is going for that with the LT1 heads My $.02 is use another spring than what comes in the kit.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either the summit brand roller rockers (likely relabeled scorpions), Comp Cams roller tip magnums (not a true roller rocker, but I've ran these in the past with no issue, setting valve lash with these is much harder than a polylock equipped rocker), or Proform aluminum roller rockers (ran these as well in the past with no issues, but upgraded to a NSA rocker).

Personally having had many different sets of rockers on my car, crane golds, comp magnums, proforms, etc. I would go for the comp promags if its in the budget.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

well Sir I am not one to bookmark threads about stuff several report as issues with the LT4 springs outside of use on LT4 heads.....but a google search "LT4 hotcam spring issues"...brought up several threads...this being one (post 3 on)My friend did the kit in his LT1...it was OK on day one but 1st time at the track when he was shifting at 6200 he noticed valve float with his hot cam using LT1 heads w/1:6 RR. On the street he didn't take it up to 6200 so he didn't notice it then.
Hehe, I liked the well Sir comment.

Fair enough. I've certainly got no experience with the kit as I went a different direction, so it's not like I can whip out a mountain of data supporting or not supporting the springs.

I just wouldn't want to tell him no to the kit if he really is cash strapped as I do think it is good bang for the buck. Which I guess brings up the question of should you really be doing mods if money is that tight. I always tend to run over budget no matter how I plan....something always seems to pop up that I didn't expect.

I am a member of the 2 piece Comp 918 spring club so I can say don't use those. The cam involved spec was 918 springs. Fortunately I did not have the usual engine carnage as a result of the spring breaking
Yeah, the 918's developed quite a bad reputation after what appeared to be a manufacturer swap by comp. Those reports are directly why I went with PAC.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
Either the summit brand roller rockers (likely relabeled scorpions), Comp Cams roller tip magnums (not a true roller rocker, but I've ran these in the past with no issue, setting valve lash with these is much harder than a polylock equipped rocker), or Proform aluminum roller rockers (ran these as well in the past with no issues, but upgraded to a NSA rocker).

Personally having had many different sets of rockers on my car, crane golds, comp magnums, proforms, etc. I would go for the comp promags if its in the budget.
Are these the cc's you're referring to? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...8-16/overview/
Old 03-26-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup those are the ones I ran once upon a time.

Not a full roller rocker and not nearly as easy to set valve lash with compared to a rocker arm with a poly lock.

But besides that I had zero issues.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Rrod12
and does anyone have any suggestions for the rr? Im looking for something under $250 if possible.
A good way to kill an engine is to cheap out on the valve train parts.

If your choice is to go with cheap parts or to not mod, I would recommend NOT modding.

That said.....the Comp Magnums are a good piece. I've used them myself and got about 80K trouble-free miles with them. But as far as quality, inexpensive valve train parts go, the Magnums are the exception. Just be very careful going 'low bid' with your valve train!

Best of luck.

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 03-27-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Cam set up?