LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why does my vehicle speed sensor keep on blowing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my vehicle speed sensor keep on blowing?

The speedo goes all over the place and the tranny won't shift right.....now i replace the sensor and it's fine....about a month later it goes again....i replace it again and the connector this time....it's fine for about another month then goes again....why is this happening? The tranny was pulled and went through and it looks like the day it was built. While the tranny was out i sent the convertor out and that was fine too. The tranny was recently rebuilt.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure the sonsor is bad and your not just losing the connection somehow? you said you replaced the one connection what about the others if there are any and what about the wires themselves. just a thought. i dont knaw anyway to check the VSS to see if its good or not
Old 07-27-2004, 09:40 AM
STF Veteran

The VSS works on the principle of induction, thereby it outputs a pulsed signal to the PCM. You can totally replace the wiring to remove it from the troubleshooting equation (any automotive grade #20 will do), however I would suspect crap in the tranny or the tailshaft is damaged somehow. If I'm not mistaken, the sensor monitors the rotations of the tailshaft teeth to formulate an output. If the tranny was rebuilt and the sensor is out of alignment, or if debris is in the wrong place (even the slightest sliver of metal) it could corrupt the output to the PCM. Check for physical damage of the sensor housing to confirm this. Ensure it's installed correctly and flush. Also check to see if any water is getting in the connector.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

You know i was thinkin the same thing that something might be wrong with the teeth. It's the same case but everything inside was rebuilt. But i'm going to ohm out the wires thursday and see if that's the problem. When i take it out and change it again i'm takin the pan off and clean it all out. When i take the VSS out it does have like metal particles on it. Oh well i'm going to do the wires and see if that's it.....thanx for the input guys.

Quick Reply: Why does my vehicle speed sensor keep on blowing?