LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

problems with my 97z

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problems with my 97z

i had some free time at work and hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and found the pressure to be 25psi and holding steady the other day(this was saturday) tonight i hooked it up again and found the pressure to be at 30 psi and holding steady like normal then i cleaned the water out of my back seat and the pressure was at 45psi with the key off and i never cycled it while i was cleaning im not sure what is going on, i checked the regulator by pulling the vacuum off with the car running and there was no change in pressure and there was no gas comming out of it like it was leaking, the fuel system holds a steady pressure and doesnt drop off so im not sure whats wrong with this car but if i can avoid spending $250 on a racetronix fuel pump unit right now then i'll wait until after x mas to get it.. i would like to just focus on what the problem is now so i don't have to worry about the next time i start it up is the car gonna buck and surge or stumble or am i going to make it home ok... what do you guys think the problem is anyone else have this problem
Old 12-09-2004, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The pressure will be higher with the car not running. Can't remember right off hand what the running pressure should be but 25 sounds low. Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or is it the stock one? Could be going bad. When you pulled the vacuum hose off was it "sucking"? Hose could have a crack or hole in it or be stopped up. Changed the fuel filter lately?? Could be the pump too.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:32 AM
11 Second Club

i still have the stock unit on, and when i pulled the line it had vacuum comming out of it, stock pressure is 41-47 with key on engine off and about 3-10psi lower while engine is running... i thought it was the pump because of low pressure but when i checked it today it was at 30 and then with the key off while i was cleaning water out of the back seat i left the gauge hooked up and come back to look at the gauge and it read 45psi.. but heres the thing when i take the vacuum line off the gauge doesnt move it stays the same and with the line back on and a few revs pressure drops like 5-10psi i thought it should increase... so before i throw a pump at it i want to be sure it's the problem....
Old 12-09-2004, 03:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
i had some free time at work and hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and found the pressure to be 25psi and holding steady the other day(this was saturday) tonight i hooked it up again and found the pressure to be at 30 psi and holding steady like normal then i cleaned the water out of my back seat and the pressure was at 45psi with the key off and i never cycled it while i was cleaning im not sure what is going on, i checked the regulator by pulling the vacuum off with the car running and there was no change in pressure and there was no gas comming out of it like it was leaking, the fuel system holds a steady pressure and doesnt drop off so im not sure whats wrong with this car but if i can avoid spending $250 on a racetronix fuel pump unit right now then i'll wait until after x mas to get it.. i would like to just focus on what the problem is now so i don't have to worry about the next time i start it up is the car gonna buck and surge or stumble or am i going to make it home ok... what do you guys think the problem is anyone else have this problem
If you do end up needing a pump Racetronix has the complete pump assembly available through Thunder Racing for around $150.00. P/N RX-FLT1-FPA

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 12-09-2004, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racetronix
If you do end up needing a pump Racetronix has the complete pump assembly available through Thunder Racing for around $150.00. P/N RX-FLT1-FPA
i didnt' know that i saw it for $250 if it is that cheap then i will replace them both at the same time... thanks for the info

Quick Reply: problems with my 97z