LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT swap update

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LT swap update

Last night PB Blasted the bolts, today every thing came out really nice, spent about 6 hours on it and got every thing off. Didint break a single bolt, hardest bolts to get off were the steering knuckle every thing came off really nice. Only drag today was, broke the damn dip stick tube trying to take it out, broke the tube and the stick, how the hell that happens who knows. Tomorow we are going to try and get the headers in the car, then saturday button every thing back up together. Still looking to get a mid saturday finish. You could deffinatley do this in a weekend with friends helping. Once we got started it wasnt bad.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I broke the Dip Stick tube, it craked on one of the factory welds on the mounting bracket. There was a big oil leak on the right side Header, and I couldn't figure out what it was, until I took it apart, and found it. That is a bad design on that piece.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neil...........the swap is not that bad...just takes some time. Make sure and clean all of the surface areas of the head and headers. Also if you are not using locking header bolts........go back and retighten after a few heat cycles.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I do 3 Heat Cycles on my stuff, a couple of hours, a few days, then a week, then check in a week after that. Mine are tight.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Neil...........the swap is not that bad...just takes some time. Make sure and clean all of the surface areas of the head and headers. Also if you are not using locking header bolts........go back and retighten after a few heat cycles.

It hasnt been bad so far, I like how theres side costs to every install you never thought you would have to pay for.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, how did you manage to break the dipstick tube? I know it wasn't easy to get out and I had to wiggle it from both up top and from the bottom, but it came out. Which bolt did you take out for the steering knuckle, the lower one on the R&P or the upper one? The upper one was real tight and then I found out I couldn't get the knuckle off that anyway. So I ended up taking the lower one out and it popped right off.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:09 AM

Today we worked for like 4 hours, got the headers in, jeusus I wish we had air tools, the biggest BITCH was the gawd damn driver side header, the mount was a pain, the oil cooler had to come off, we got it in though. Tomorow we got to put this bitch *** LT1 back together, gonna be fun but a friends brining some air tools by so we should be able to reasemble this thing quick.

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
Wow, how did you manage to break the dipstick tube? I know it wasn't easy to get out and I had to wiggle it from both up top and from the bottom, but it came out. Which bolt did you take out for the steering knuckle, the lower one on the R&P or the upper one? The upper one was real tight and then I found out I couldn't get the knuckle off that anyway. So I ended up taking the lower one out and it popped right off.

My buddy was tugging from the bottom and I was tugging from top and I snapped the plastic peace on top as well as the handle to the dip stick tube. We got both bolts off, top and bottom, top had to be persuaded with Mr. Breaker bar aka Torquezilla who has made this entire install possible.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

you had to take out the oil cooler? I just took out the rag joint bolt and my oil filter it went in there easier than hell. I had to even bungie cord it in there and lower the car on the lift so it wouldn't fall out before I could get bolts in it!

you're right, it's not bad once you get going! I'm hoping for a mid saturday finish on my pacesetter LTs as well.. then I get to drive it all weekend with open headers since the exhaust shop doesn't open till monday

Breaker bars rule, especially since my impact gun and air ratchet are both rather bulky and I found a 3/8" drive 14mm shallow swivel impact socket to be extremely useful
Old 05-06-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Awesome Neil glad it is all coming together. These are the reason I am having HPE do all my work, I am tired of busted knuckles and cuts all on the arms from the crammed confines of the LT1 engine bay.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:04 AM

Day 3: I hate LT1s, worthess peaces of dawg ****, there is nothing good about these motors, they **** oil, GM must have picked up their engineers from the special olympics because this opti is just ******* stupid. Opti Boots are a gawd damn nite mare to ad some insult to injury. I hate this ******* car, I wish I had an LS1, oh my gawd I dont blame any one for ditching these peaces of ******* dog ****, I want to set this red turd on fire and push it in to a gravel pit.

Whats left to do: Coolant, Serpentine belt and a finish some real small tasks and it should be ready to either work or **** up. Hope the alternator is good because the smaller bracket wont go back on with out a head stud
Old 05-07-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

I feel your pain and understand the Lt1 frustration brotha. Well look at it this way you could sell it and wait till you get down with school and buy you an LS1. Good Luck.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:31 PM

We just got it done, runs ******* awesome, sounds like holy hell at WOT. You can drive it on the freeway now and it just pulls, now time for a Y pipe and tune. Drove it home open header
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well damn glad you got it all done, its a pain in the *** to get them in but once its done its so damn worth it but i would still never want to do lts on an lt1 again. the days that i took putting in my lts i hated my lt1 more than anything on earth.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't forget to retighten the header bolts a couple of times before really getting on it. Or you'll be bitching about doing the header gaskets! I took it easy for several heat cycles and used the Stage 8 locking bolts and I still blew out the FelPro gasket on the passenger side!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:41 PM

Don't forget to retighten the header bolts a couple of times before really getting on it. Or you'll be bitching about doing the header gaskets! I took it easy for several heat cycles and used the Stage 8 locking bolts and I still blew out the FelPro gasket on the passenger side!
Thanks for the tip Jeff
Old 05-08-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Day 3: I hate LT1s, worthess peaces of dawg ****, there is nothing good about these motors, they **** oil, GM must have picked up their engineers from the special olympics because this opti is just ******* stupid. Opti Boots are a gawd damn nite mare to ad some insult to injury. I hate this ******* car, I wish I had an LS1, oh my gawd I dont blame any one for ditching these peaces of ******* dog ****, I want to set this red turd on fire and push it in to a gravel pit.

Whats left to do: Coolant, Serpentine belt and a finish some real small tasks and it should be ready to either work or **** up. Hope the alternator is good because the smaller bracket wont go back on with out a head stud
Sorry, Neil. Ive been there and its just too funny that you put the exact feelings that Ive had towards my car down so fluently. Glad you got it running though.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Felpro gaskets will blow out no matter what. It's best to use stock gaskets.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:28 AM

Yeah, I'm glad it runs too, my buddy helping was like if this car doesnt start Im going to cry I think I would have been there with him. You need to get your 93 back on the road and to some 11s
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
You need to get your 93 back on the road and to some 11s
Ill think about it.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Felpro gaskets will blow out no matter what. It's best to use stock gaskets.
I disagree when speaking of a LT1. A LS1 it a different story though.