LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

carb. conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default carb. conversion

anyone converted their 94 up lt1 over to a carb.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994z
anyone converted their 94 up lt1 over to a carb.
Why would you want to? Injection is WAY better
Old 05-12-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94greencamaro
Why would you want to? Injection is WAY better

werd...dont do it
Old 05-13-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Dont say dont unless you know his situation for wanting to go carb.
Either he's a full blown racer or a full blown tard.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

or maby he just wants to mess with somthing different for teh hell of it.

brook
Old 05-13-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Even if he is a full blown racer, the fueling of the cylinder is better with injection and it adapts to weather and altitude changes far better than carb. Not to mention it is far easier to tune.

There was a guy here in a Cyclone that was running 10.2-10.3 and switched to fuel injected and is now running high 9s. I would consider him a full blown racer too.

Last edited by 94greencamaro; 05-13-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't know anyone who has but I have considered the idea. It's actually not that complicated, just time consuming, as are most things on a lt1. There are a few books out that can provide helpful info on the matter. If you are serious about the swap.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

I'm willing to bet my left one that it's easier to tune a carb for a weekend car than it is to buy a lap top, buy LT1 edit, Buy datalogging software, buy a wide band, and buy books to tune a FI car. Not taking one side or the other but if his reasons are good I wouldnt knock the thought.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
I'm willing to bet my left one that it's easier to tune a carb for a weekend car than it is to buy a lap top, buy LT1 edit, Buy datalogging software, buy a wide band, and buy books to tune a FI car. Not taking one side or the other but if his reasons are good I wouldnt knock the thought.
Yeah i guess so. What i meant is that it is easier to fine tune a fuel injected car, but your right you have to know your technology. Thats why most old school guys run around with carbs on their cars because they are unwilling to accept change and learn the new way to do ****. But at the end of the day their carb is still outdated technology.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

You do realize your pushrod motor is outdated as well correct? I say if it aint broke dont fix it. If youve had good success with a certain setup stick with it. Dont be hatin.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
You do realize your pushrod motor is outdated as well correct? I say if it aint broke dont fix it. If youve had good success with a certain setup stick with it. Dont be hatin.
My pushrod motor also has fuel injection, and im not about to go back in time and put on some of grandpas old parts. I dont see any reason to change an LT1 to a carb, unless you are just too lazy to take time and learn how to work with injection.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

the last setup big rick (the worlds fastest LT1) had was a carbed setup.

brook
Old 05-13-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

I dont see a reason to drive pushrod cars when thier are DOHC cobras around. I can go all day. The point is youre arguing about old technology but you drive a outdated Camaro with outdated suspension, engine, and body. Youre being a hypocrite.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by aggiez28
the last setup big rick (the worlds fastest LT1) had was a carbed setup.

brook
Oh Naaaawwwwzzzzzz Not A Carb!!! How Did He Do It With The Outdated Carb??????? It Cant Be Possible.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

There are a couple people that have done it around here. One carbed the LT! and the other put an older small block in it (400) It is some work involved cutting the cowl is the roughest part. Getting cut enough to clear and still keep the wipers and all functioning. If anyone has had the typical "LT1" problems I can see why they would want to switch. Nothing gets old "quicker" than not being able to drive your car cause the opti,egr,PCM,....ect....ect...is out. Besides the guy just got on here asking a question and you are making him sound like an idiot, for asking. So next time try to be constructive instead of an A$$.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

More than a few guys who went through with this have come back and admitted it was a mistake and those are just the ones man enough to admit it.

As far as the wideband and all that would help the carbed guys too. If you can tune a carbed car you don't need books to tune a injected one. For under $350 you can get a laptop(old 266mhz is plenty and cheap), Tunercat, cable, and Datamaster, that is less than just the carb or manifold/distributor.
The injection is a big part of why we can run 12:1 on pump gas or have a 500fwhp smallblock that is drivable and gets 20mpg.
This like the guys who swear they need a TH400 but they lose a good first gear OD and lockup, making for crappy launches and crappy highway manners all because they wont trust one of the shops proven to be able to build the 4L60E for a 10 second car.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say if you need the extra air to feed your motor, then do it. You can only do so much to a stock lt1/lt4 intake setup. But if you ever outgrow a carb, you can just swap to a larger one. If i had to do the carb swap again, i probably wouldve used an lt1 block splayed for 4 bolt mains, that way i wouldnt have my distributor burried under the windshield. I do still have my wipers and they work fine. I can get to my distributor easily and replace everything, but if i ever had to change my intake manifold i would have to pull the motor. This wont be the way in your case, so you will have some advantages. But if you are stock cubes, i wouldnt even worry about it. If i were to use the lt1 setup on my motor, it would choke it, i would probably lose a decent amount of torque, etc. But then again i have a 383 with a demon carb that demands that air flow. If you do run carb, you will have to use a fuel pressure regulator and replumb your system in the engine bay. But to sum things up, carb and FI both have their ups and downs. For a daily driver i would leave it. But if you ever plan on going big cubes and have a bad *** toy, definitely do it. Hope this helps you make up your mind.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you see the 500+RWHP post??? might be worth reeducating yourself on what is possible, and just how well that choke of an LT1 intake can actually work.

People write things off far too quickly a few short years ago 400rwhp with ported stock castings was little more than a dream now there are several shops capable of reliably delivering it.

For those of you that do go through with this the 91-3 b-bodies with the TBI used a large bore distributor hole and the distributor to match in order to facilitate fitment under the cowl. Might go to the boneyard and get one of those distributors and look at having the intake drilled to match. Not sure it would give you enough room but is an idea.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Well the forums dont help when you 5 guys saying the LT1 intake cant handle high horse power then 5 other gyuys saying it can. It's always been confusing to me.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Did you see the 500+RWHP post??? might be worth reeducating yourself on what is possible, and just how well that choke of an LT1 intake can actually work.

People write things off far too quickly a few short years ago 400rwhp with ported stock castings was little more than a dream now there are several shops capable of reliably delivering it.

For those of you that do go through with this the 91-3 b-bodies with the TBI used a large bore distributor hole and the distributor to match in order to facilitate fitment under the cowl. Might go to the boneyard and get one of those distributors and look at having the intake drilled to match. Not sure it would give you enough room but is an idea.
How much money will you dump into that intake to be able to achieve the flow that the motor desires? How many people have access to this? This isnt merely a question of possibility, those people have put endless amounts of money and time into designing those motors so that they will acheive these numbers. And almost every lt1 owner in that post said that the guy would have to run a 396 to even come close. When you compare the number of people who have 500+ hp setups on carbs compared to those on lt1's its obvious. Does your lt1 make 500 rwhp? I doubt it. We just have too many wanna be lt1 gurus in here. Id say if you want detailed info, it should come from the people that have actually done it!