LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LOOK...going to look at a car tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LOOK...going to look at a car tomorrow

so im goin to look at a 94 formula tomorrow with 75K on it. I had a few questions like what is the normal oil pressure range? What about engine temp range? Also, do LT1's have any normal piston slap like the LS1? Anything special I should look for that I wouldn't normally already look at?
Old 06-19-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

oil pressure really depends on what weight... and temp ranges from 180-220, depends on what been done to the car and if its been tuned... im not aware of any piston slap like the LS1 i dont think thats a problem with the LT1's
Old 06-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

When it's first started up and cold I would want at or over 40 psi (middle mark on the gauge in a 94 Camaro, don't know about a Formula's gauge) oil pressure at least with standard 30 weight oil. As it warms up it will drop, at full operating temp (driven a bit) I wouldn't want it to read below 15ish at idle, higher would be better. WOT ought to hit 40 or more when good and hot. Alot of LT1s will turn in better numbers than these. Keep in mind that it varies, and the gauge can be off as well, using a mechanical gauge I've found my dash gauge reads 8-10 psi low.

GM's actual specs are hot idle of 6psi, 12psi at 2k, 24psi at 4k. I'd feel more than a little concerned if mine idled at 6psi personally though, most LT1s are significantly better than that obviously.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

Oil Pressure is important, but it can very from car to car.
When the car is completely cold, it should hold around 45-60.

If I let my car idle for about 20 seconds, then gas it up to about 3500 rpms, the Oil pressure will jump a couple pounds and stay there because you just exercised it the lines and pump.
But w/o doing this, it should hold more than or around 40-45 easily. ( cold @ startup)

When its completely hot at an idle in Park, you want the oil pressure around 20. Anything lower than 18 is not a good sign.

Other thank the occasional opti-problem, LT1's are very reliable and 180K on original motor parts is easily attainable with proper oil/fluid changes and care.

I bought my Z with close to 80K, and its still very much strong.
It gets cold up here in Upstate NY, and I leave my car on the road until snow falls, or its in the forecast.
On some very cold mornings, ive seen 70 pnds of oil pressure, although this is common for a motor in 10-35 degree weather.
Look underneath the body, wheel wells, and floorboards to make sure its still solid.
Its also helpful to see who owned the car before you, and how he takes care of his/her vehicles.
A beat Fbody is easy to spot.
Possible Signs Are:
-Dirty and dusty under the hood.
-Cracks in the dash or console
-Multiple rips or tears in upholstery
-Missing radio/function buttons. ( the interior of Fbodies are nice, but arent the best in terms of quality, and it usually easy to spot abuse.)
People who abuse the inside, probably abused the car in general, and that means the driveline might have taken some punishment.

Good Luck Jco,
Old 06-20-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

my oil presure is always jumping up and down at idle adn driving and idles at 40 is that bad, i started doing this after i did a header install,do you think its the y pipe right next to the oil pan

Quick Reply: LOOK...going to look at a car tomorrow