LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rough Idle

Hey guys,
I have been on here before, but its been a while. Not too long ago I had the Opti replaced as well as the plugs and wires. But here recently the car has been running very rough at idle. It used to only do this when the car would get up to temp, and then if i slip in neutral and rev it up a couple times, it would go away and smooth out.

Now the will get that rough idle, cough and sputter at about every stop light no matter of the temp. It will even do it when I am going slow down the street. The car will not stall out, or atleast it hasnt stalled out yet. When I cut it off, there are bad fumes, like it is running rich.

I used to work at the local GM dealership as an intern when I was in HS. I remember when we were playing around with the 3200 motors in the bonivelles. We could adjust the EGR with the OB2 and when we opened it up, the thing would sputter and cough, just like mine is doing now. Im wondering if it is just a O2 sensor, or is it the EGR. Or am I completely off base here.

Anyone else had these problems.

Oh yeah, its a 94' LT1 with an A4

Thanks for the help in advance.

-bryan

Last edited by bmccrary; 07-29-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No advice?

-bryan
Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine did that when I had the computer replaced, it needed to be programmed for tech1 thats what my problem was but I doubt it is the same case for yours. Maybe an egr line is disconnected because I've heard that can cause rough idling?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the resistance across each fuel injector, those like to go bad. I think the spec for '94 is 12-16 ohms. Not 100% on that though.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle