LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need a favor

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a favor

could someone with a 93 lt1 car take a pic of the engine bay for me,I need a pic of where the IAT comes from,I know it comes from the TPS but I dont know which wire it is,and what it looks like,id appreciate it if someone could help me out
Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the help guys
Old 08-03-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did the electrical connector break off, or are you just trying to locate the correct connector?

I don't have a 1993, nor do I have a direct photo (I relocated mine), but the sensor itself would be located near the #1 mark in the following diagram: http://lt1info.com/TECH/Various%20Di...AT-diagram.gif

The electrical connector should have a black and tan wire. It plugs into the outer radius of the rubber intake hose/elbow/bellows (connected to the throttle body).

Perhaps I could get more specific if you need. But yes, the wiring harness comes from the same bundle on the passenger side intake as the TPS, IAC, MAP, etc...
Old 08-03-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

To clarify, there are about four longer wire bundles coming from that side of the intake:

1) One wire bundle has the excitor wire for the alternator, then continues down to the a/c compressor. These two electrical connectors look very unique. The a/c one has double-sided hooks.

2) There's a long wire bundle for the ECT (coolant temp sensor located on the driver's-side waterpump housing), which loops down from the passenger side intake & goes across the front of the water pump housing.

3) There's the IAT sensor wire. (2-prong)

4) The optispark electrical harness (4-prong)

The rest would be far too short to reach the IAT sensor.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

hey alex, i got a 94z and i cut off the plug that plugs into the water pump (lower right of pump). Do i NEED this or can i go without? And i dont know what wires are for it, color wise. And i also cut the plug for the IAT also, but its the black and tan wire. But now for the connectors.... do i NEED that specific plug or can i get a universial plug from a parts store?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

heres a pic of the IAT bro, its the wire chillin right on top.....
Old 08-04-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
hey alex, i got a 94z and i cut off the plug that plugs into the water pump (lower right of pump). Do i NEED this or can i go without? And i dont know what wires are for it, color wise. And i also cut the plug for the IAT also, but its the black and tan wire. But now for the connectors.... do i NEED that specific plug or can i get a universial plug from a parts store?
Yes, you MUST retain that sensor on the waterpump.

We have two coolant temp sensors -- one on the driver's cylinder head used solely for the analog temperature gauge on the dash, then we have a second sensor on the waterpump used strictly by the PCM for fueling and fan control.

The wires going to the ECT sensor on the waterpump should be black & yellow. If you broke off the connector to the sensor itself, you'll have to buy a replacement sensor. If you broke off the electrical connector on the wiring harness, Rob/Shoebox has it listed as an AC Delco part number PT1350/PT1623 (GM part number 88987183). Perhaps a local autoparts store could cross-reference the part numbers.

The IAT sensor electrical connector is apparently an AC Delco PT307 (GM 12102620).
Old 08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

ok, thanks alex. ill check my local parts store and see if that can cross refrence them.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

nothing broke off, i eliminated everything under the hood and actentially cut off the plug ends......... yea, im a idiot!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

hey alex, one more question. i got all my plug's, now i need wire color. I know the IAT is black and tan, now is the temp. wires black and yellow? I would think so because theres a wire loom on the pass. side intake with 2 black wires, a tan and a yellow. So i would assum the tan and black is the IAT and the yellow and other black is the temp.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Taubr,

Yes, sounds you have the colors straight (yellow = ECT, tan = IAT). The black wires both lead to sensor grounds, so I don't think it matters which goes to what sensor -- However, the black wires tie into different sensor ground terminals at the PCM. If you have a voltmeter, we can verify that we have it set up as per the factory.

-IAT sensor-
Tan = Pin 21 on the Gray/Clear PCM connector
Black = Pin 16 on the Black PCM connector

-ECT sensor-
Yellow = Pin 25 on the Gray/Clear PCM connector
Black = Pin 6 on the Black PCM connector
Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

ok, i got a voltmeter. the temp. is straight foward... yellow to yellow and black to black. But now the IAT plug i got, both the wires are white, so what one is black and what one is the tan, or does it even matter.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

ok alex, im gonna find out for sure what black wire is what. how do you know all this stuff anyways?!?!?!?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a 93 LT1, click the thumbnail for full image.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, i got a voltmeter. the temp. is straight foward... yellow to yellow and black to black. But now the IAT plug i got, both the wires are white, so what one is black and what one is the tan, or does it even matter.
Honestly, I don't think it matters which wire goes to which terminal on the sensor. It's just a thermistor -- it varies resistance in an inverse-relation to temperature. As such, it should produce the same resistance regardless of the current flow across its terminals.

But, if you want to be **** (like me)...

With the locking tab on the electrical connector facing UP, the tan wire is on the left, and the black wire is on the right.

You can use your voltmeter's diode/resistance test to verify wire continuity. If you were to probe the PCM connectors, you'd most likely need some alligator clips + paper clips attached to the voltmeter's test leads.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

i got it all figured out. but on my IAT clip, with the clip facing up, my tan wire was to the right, or facing towards the front of the car depending on how you look at it. So tan wire facing the front of the car with the safety clip on top.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Duh, Sorry, I should have been more specific about which direction I was looking. I was looking at the *open end* of the connector (with the tab facing up). If you were looking at the back (where the wires go in), it would be the other way around of what I said previously.

Sounds like you wired yours the exact way mine is wired.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Launching!

ok alex, im gonna find out for sure what black wire is what. how do you know all this stuff anyways?!?!?!?
Cause he does research before going ape **** and cutting out stuff without knowing what it is or does.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 383LT1S10
Cause he does research before going ape **** and cutting out stuff without knowing what it is or does.

and the point of your fukin ashole remark was?!?!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Kudos on turning an otherwise productive thread into a hostile one. That wasn't necessary.

For the record, I "know all this stuff" because I make mistakes of my own -- and it's usually far worse than a simple electrical connector.

Quick Reply: I need a favor