LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ignition problems, what plugs for high compression?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ignition problems, what plugs for high compression?

after replacing every ignition related component on my car, i think what has been causing the miss is plug i use. currently im running tr55 @ .50 but since im running 11.7-12.1 CR and i was told that i need a colder plug because the heat range is too hot. i replaced the plugs, wires, and coil on saturday and the car ran better than it ever had since i bought it. took the car to work on sunday and the car started to miss. the coil is arcing to itself from the metal frame around the MSD coil, so i replaced it with another one and still did the same thing. when i rev the car you can see the coil arc like crazy at night. only thing i was told is change out the plugs and see what happens, anyone have an info on this?

BTW- i also have a DTC 33/55/64 dont know if that matters at all?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Electricity is a funny thing. It will always take the path of least resistance. The spark is not able to jump the gap in the plug so it looks for another place or it is finding a easier place to jump at the coil. Either the wires have to high of a resistance, or the plug gap is to wide to jump properly or both. You mentioned you are running with higher compression which makes it harder for the spark to arc across the plug. If you change the plugs or decide to try this I would just close the gap to .035 I would also check the resistance across the new wires and verify that they are within spec.
Just my 10 cents.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

well im going to change plugs to tr6 @.38 and i'll check the wires, but they are brand new MSD's and they have less than 5 hrs of running time on the car. either way i'll double check and see what happens.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:54 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
well im going to change plugs to tr6 @.38 and i'll check the wires, but they are brand new MSD's and they have less than 5 hrs of running time on the car. either way i'll double check and see what happens.
I use Autolite 104s in mine, gapped at .035". I highly recommend them.

Good luck, Ed

Quick Reply: ignition problems, what plugs for high compression?