Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Delteq vs Opti

which one

just get a delteq or replace the opti with a good brand
Old 08-21-2006, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

depends on what your doing i heard there were some problems with it on big cam lt1's, i dont know if that's been remedied or not yet, i was looking into doing the deltec but didnt because of the cam issues, sure some guys on here will speak up, if my stock original opti/cap and rotor was fine for 150k miles then it works for me, cap and rotor finally let go but i went ahead and got a new gm opti and a msd cap and rotor been fine ever since i did it in march
Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

You need to expand the poll to have the DynaSpark included.

DynaSpark works just fine for me. It's tried and true.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

My Dynaspark was stolen out of my car while it was in the shop Anyways remember, if your opti is bad right now youll have to replace it anyways depending on what went wrong with it and if it's the usuall youll be buying a opti and a delteq if you choose to go that route. IMHO, My first choice still has to be Dynaspark. They are test proven which is the biggest plus. The biggest downside is the price. I'm just dont care much for the LTCC and the Delteq for the simple fact the opti still has to be there. I guess it's a all or nothing thing for me. Also I dont see anything wrong with using a stock Opti either as long as it's not one of those rebuilt ones people say last for 7k miles.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
My first choice still has to be Dynaspark. They are test proven which is the biggest plus. The biggest downside is the price.
I wouldn't say that it's a downside. I am a firm believer in that "you get what you pay for." Needless to say, nobody wants to get ripped off... but when someone spends a lot of money on their car, what is two hundred dollars (roughly the cost difference between a GM Opti-Spark and a DynaSpark)? By no means am I made of money, but after all of the money that I spent on my car, especially my engine, the last thing I was going to skimp on would be an ignition component.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

I believe in the "you get what you pay for" saying to a certain degree. You have to be competitive. When they had the only replacable opti they had a corner in the market. Now they must adapt with the times and be competative against the MSD which is the closest comparism. I dont mind spending money to have the best but just because you spend alot of money doesnt mean you got the best. Eitherway I may get another Dynaspark soon when I cool down and get over the fact my investment is gone.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

So okay between using the dynaspark or a delteq?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

I think so far you have 2 for Dynaspark. Sorry about us Hijacking your thread
Old 08-21-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

dynaspark here
Old 08-21-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

dynaspark FTW
Old 08-21-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

I believe in the "you get what you pay for" saying to a certain degree. You have to be competitive. When they had the only replacable opti they had a corner in the market. Now they must adapt with the times and be competative against the MSD which is the closest comparism. I dont mind spending money to have the best but just because you spend alot of money doesnt mean you got the best. Eitherway I may get another Dynaspark soon when I cool down and get over the fact my investment is gone.
That's why I said, "I am a firm believer in that "you get what you pay for." Needless to say, nobody wants to get ripped off..."

It would be very unlikely that DynaSpark would come down in price because of MSD's entry in the LT1 Opti-Spark YEARS after they pioneered the design.

For example, in the beginning there were only a few companies that offered headers for the LT1/LS1 f-bodies. Now... everyone and their uncle is making them. Would I put a set of Pacesetters on my car. No freakin' way. Dynatech or Kooks headers all the way. The quality far exceeds the Pacesetters. But that's just me... I would like to have "nice stuff" that works well instead of "ok stuff" that works good or almost as good.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like my pacesetters, no problems yet, would i even get as much hp or more if i switched to kooks??? i wouldnt believe so
Old 08-21-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
That's why I said, "I am a firm believer in that "you get what you pay for." Needless to say, nobody wants to get ripped off..."

It would be very unlikely that DynaSpark would come down in price because of MSD's entry in the LT1 Opti-Spark YEARS after they pioneered the design.

For example, in the beginning there were only a few companies that offered headers for the LT1/LS1 f-bodies. Now... everyone and their uncle is making them. Would I put a set of Pacesetters on my car. No freakin' way. Dynatech or Kooks headers all the way. The quality far exceeds the Pacesetters. But that's just me... I would like to have "nice stuff" that works well instead of "ok stuff" that works good or almost as good.
First of all I respect your opinion and I see your point but lets be serious. Dynaspark will either conform thier price to be competitive or slowlly go out of business if MSD turns out to be the real deal. It's as simple as that. I'm not saying they should be priced the same though dont get it twisted.
The headers analogy is skewed imho. The only difference between headers are the size, fitment, plug access, coating and material. What makes one nice to you may mean squat to someone like me who could care less for the fancy stuff as long as it gets the job done. If I run the same times as you using cheaper parts who really wins? Whoever is happy with thier performance and thier setup, thats who
Old 08-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Launching!

First of all I respect your opinion and I see your point but lets be serious. Dynaspark will either conform thier price to be competitive or slowlly go out of business if MSD turns out to be the real deal. It's as simple as that. I'm not saying they should be priced the same though dont get it twisted.
The headers analogy is skewed imho. The only difference between headers are the size, fitment, plug access, coating and material. What makes one nice to you may mean squat to someone like me who could care less for the fancy stuff as long as it gets the job done. If I run the same times as you using cheaper parts who really wins? Whoever is happy with thier performance and thier setup, thats who
as far as looking at these two brands in competition with each other look at it this way.

There is dynaspark and theres <b>MSD</b>

Everyone knows MSD. pro race cars use msd
People who don't know **** about cars probably know msd

The name will sell itself
Old 08-21-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

No doubt. It's allready happening. People hailing the MSD before it touched it's first car. My 8 year old wanted me to pre order her a MSD opti for her birthday. That's power.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not waste my time on that other crap again. Put good Opti on it and change the cap and rotor every year if you are racing.

I went 10.32 on one the weeked and after being raped over the delteq coles and coming up short!

Long live the Opti!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cchris1109
i like my pacesetters, no problems yet, would i even get as much hp or more if i switched to kooks??? i wouldnt believe so
Kooks might just last a "little" bit longer. Pacesetters are cheap. Sloppy welds both inside and out.... welding slag on the inside of the collector. You won't see that on Dynatech or Kooks headers.

7000 mile Pacesetters.
Attached Thumbnails Delteq vs Opti-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 08-21-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Smile

The DynaSpark is only $100 cheaper. Not that big of a deal. Save $100 for something that has not stood the test of time. I hope the MSD opti-spark does work... hell it took them long enough to "release" it. But being $100 cheaper will not "force" DynaSpark to lower their price or even go out of business if they don't. Has Dynatech or Kooks gone out of business because of Pacesetter? Uh no.

Skewed? Yeah... ok.
Only difference? "The only difference between headers are the size, fitment, plug access, coating and material." That seems like a lot of differences to me. You forgot another difference... quality. For some people, that is important.

I am sure that MSD's opti-spark is a fine product. I have MSD parts on my cars and I like them a lot. I have used inferior parts in the past and have found that while the MSD parts are more expensive, they are worth the added expense. But in this case being that the MSD opti-spark is less costly ($100), it will not cause DynaSpark to lower their price or even go out of business as I stated before.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NoMoreLS1
The DynaSpark is only $100 cheaper. Not that big of a deal. Save $100 for something that has not stood the test of time. I hope the MSD opti-spark does work... hell it took them long enough to "release" it. But being $100 cheaper will not "force" DynaSpark to lower their price or even go out of business if they don't. Has Dynatech or Kooks gone out of business because of Pacesetter? Uh no.

Skewed? Yeah... ok.
Only difference? "The only difference between headers are the size, fitment, plug access, coating and material." That seems like a lot of differences to me. You forgot another difference... quality. For some people, that is important.

I am sure that MSD's opti-spark is a fine product. I have MSD parts on my cars and I like them a lot. I have used inferior parts in the past and have found that while the MSD parts are more expensive, they are worth the added expense. But in this case being that the MSD opti-spark is less costly ($100), it will not cause DynaSpark to lower their price or even go out of business as I stated before.
Why do you keep saying $100? Do you think that sounds better? Try it's almost $160 plus more. Youre comparing apples to oranges when you put Kooks and Dynaspark in the same sentence. Lets stay on one subject because youre mixing the two to make your dynaspark argument stronger. Really shouldnt even be a argument. A person is only going to pay what theyre willing to pay.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Smile

Why do you keep saying $100? Do you think that sounds better? Try it's almost $160 plus more. Youre comparing apples to oranges when you put Kooks and Dynaspark in the same sentence. Lets stay on one subject because youre mixing the two to make your dynaspark argument stronger. Really shouldnt even be a argument. A person is only going to pay what theyre willing to pay.
It's $100. Summit Racing is selling it for $499.88 and Finish Line Performance sells is for $599. I don't know where you are getting your prices.

Summit Racing MSD Opti-Spark
FLP DynaSpark

Apples and oranges? Well... one product is a distributor and one is a header system. But the POINT is that you pay for quality. I am not trying to argue anything... just trying to make a point. Like I said, I like the MSD products and I think that they are top notch. I posted in this thread because the DynaSpark was not an option in this poll as it should be since it has been proven over the years. I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that my distributor isn't going to fail on me. The last thing that I would want to do is replace an opti-spark after everything is installed on my engine. $100 isn't work my time, effort, and even more money when I have to replace the defective opti-spark with a new one. Personally... I would not want to put a part on my car that hasn't been proven. Once the MSD opti-spark is proven, then it's all good. For example, if the MSD opti-spark came out years ago and was proven to work well just like the DynaSpark, naturally I would have purchased the MSD Opti-Spark and saved myself $100. Who wouldn't?

I'm done.

Quick Reply: Delteq vs Opti