LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rocker,pushrods,lifters,hydra rev?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker,pushrods,lifters,hydra rev?

im building my 396,all i have left is the lifters,pushrods and rockers.i have afr 190cc heads that have been ported.i plan to push the motor quite a bit.

what should i get,ill be using a fiarly big cam for this engine,big but streetable.cam will be a custom grind.

what lifters should i get?that are comaptable with the hydra rev?
what pushrods/guidplates do i need?
what rockers?
which hydra rev kit?
which arp stud kit?

once i figure these all out i should be good for a while....till the supercharger comes into play,but that will be a while.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
im building my 396,all i have left is the lifters,pushrods and rockers.i have afr 190cc heads that have been ported.i plan to push the motor quite a bit.

what should i get,ill be using a fiarly big cam for this engine,big but streetable.cam will be a custom grind.

what rockers?
which hydra rev kit?
which arp stud kit?

once i figure these all out i should be good for a while....till the supercharger comes into play,but that will be a while.

DO NOT GET A HYDRA REV. You don't need it and it's a waste of money.

Either GMPP Aluminum Bowtie Guideplates or Isky Adjustable and a 1 piece 4130 pushrod. But you can't get those till you get the cam and everything else in there and measure.

what rockers?

Normally guys will run Comp Pro Mag 1.6:1 rockers with a 7/16 stud here
which hydra rev kit?

which arp stud kit?

There are two, either one will work well for the setup

till the supercharger comes into play,but that will be a while.

Then you are going to need a blower cam, a NA and centrifigal cam are two different things.

Good luck with the setup

Bret
Old 09-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Brett pretty much nailed it on what you need but didn't really explain why you do not need a Hydra Rev Kit.
I also saw there advertisment and after a while I realized that there really is no need to further complicate your drive train if you use the right components in the first place. The only way Hydra Rev would add any power on the top end is if the roller lifters were not following the profile in the first place and if they are not following the profile you would have valve float. If you use Valve train components that are designed to rev to 7000 RPM and they are installed correctly, when you run you engine to 6400 RPM(or what ever you deem safe)there would be no way you would gain anything other than extra pieces in your valve that could someday cause problems.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Teching In

thanx guys!!

when getting a stud kit for the rockers,i go with the 7/16 kit right.any one have the part # for that kit?i dont want to get the wrong one,lol.in order to use the 7/16 stud kit i just need to make sure i get the 7/16 rockers correct?has nothing to do with the bolt hole size in head right?

are the comp 850-16 lifters a good choice?

anyone have the part # on those Comp Pro Mag 1.6:1 rockers with a 7/16 stud ?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

well, I THINK you can go 2 ways, with 3/8's in the head, but it adds no strength, and you really should consider drilling and taping the heads for 7/16's studs.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about the head end of the stud. It sits on a guideplate and has a large contact patch there where it spreads out the load too. A 7/16 stud has the same thread going into the head as a 3/8ths stud.

If you are looking for a stud girdle to fit a LT1 head you have a lot of things to work around, valve covers being a big one.

Bret

Quick Reply: rocker,pushrods,lifters,hydra rev?