LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just bought a new project...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a new project...

Hey...just bought a 1993 Z28 at the auction. I know it's not the best year and everything, but it was the only way I could get myself back into the "game" after losing my IROC earlier this spring cause of a fire and ended up not getting a dime for it. The car has 220k miles, but I'm almost positive this motor has been out before cause it's pretty damn clean. I was cleanin up the engine bay and also noticed an SFI-approved dampener. Makes me wonder. The body has no rust anywhere and has all the original paint and body panels so somebody stored this winters and didn't abuse it, just drove it...and drove it...and drove it haha. It has Pacesetter ceramic longtubes, and a Hooker 3" catback. It's an A4 car, and I think the transmission needs some attention. My question is I was never sure if the 93 cars came with the electronic 4L60 or if it was just the 4L60? I have a Transgo shift kit for newer-style 700R4s that was supposed to go in my IROC, any chance it will work? I think I'm gonna drop it and get it rebuilt with a nice performance rebuilt kit (maybe this)? Plus a shift kit and hopefully find a used converter somewhere because I really am broke after losing the IROC and being in college. My hopes for the motor would be that it is pretty sound and I could bolt on the LE1 package that looks perfect for what I want. What size stall would you recommend on that? It is a factory G92 car so it should have 3.23s, would you recommend 3.73s for the LE1 package or 4.10s? The posi needs help so I will be on the lookout for a used low-mileage posi unit. I will be doing a tune-up as well. What is the gap required for the 93 LT1s? I'll do MSD wires and a coil...I have a MSD coil for my IROC...would it work? It looks like the same exact product but the output/volts may be different, why I'm asking. I'm new to the 4th Gen world, always been a 3rd Gen fan but couldn't pass up on this deal. Thanks...
Old 10-02-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like a real nice car post so pics

the 93 isn't electric the way to telll is look for a kickdown on the throttle body... that kit should work if I'm right which I think I am becase I have a 4L60 for a 93 in my 95 my brother had it built and his car burned to the ground... so.... just look for the kickdown.....

and DO NOT I repeat DO NOT get that one... get the B&M one from summit it comes with everything..... that other one is for a 4L60E.....http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by onebadblackz; 10-02-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on the pics, coil should work too, I think...
Old 10-02-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

I donno if I would use a b&m trans kit.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Teching In

I looked elsewhere on Summit and found this Hughes Rebuild Kit and also checked out Pro-Built's Kit. Pro-Built's kit also includes the shift kit but I need to do more research on whether or not the one I already have will work. I have never heard the greatest stuff about B&M products, so I may stray from them. I am at college right now, but next time I go home I will snap some pics. I may have found some information from the previous owner that he left in the car so I may try to contact him to see if he can tell me some more about the car. I took off the cold-air kit and found an airfoil on the TB, and looked inside the intake manifold and it was suprisingly clean and not carbond and dirty. Another hint that this motor has been out. I am going to look into the LE1 packages closer and closer. It sounds as though it's best for me since I drive the car everyday, consistent stop and go driving, take it on 2-3 hour road trips, etc. SFCs may be in store to tighten up the aging chassis as well.

Quick Reply: Just bought a new project...