LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What all is needed for a good tune up???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all is needed for a good tune up???

Ive already got a new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs ordered. But not being too familiar with the LT1 im wondering what other things I may need to change. Im thinking maybe a fuel filter and a new 02 sensor. Anything else you fella's can think of??? By the way, what is an opti???? Thanks guys
Old 10-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah, should I change the water pump while im in there? its got 110k on it
Old 10-02-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

some say do the water pump, I don't see the point until it "weeps". Yea, change the O2 sensors. just the first set, the set after the cats are worthless. An Opti is the distributor. It has on optical lense in the rear portion, that tells the pcm whats going on. Have you considered a new coil and ignition modual?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
some say do the water pump, I don't see the point until it "weeps". Yea, change the O2 sensors. just the first set, the set after the cats are worthless. An Opti is the distributor. It has on optical lense in the rear portion, that tells the pcm whats going on. Have you considered a new coil and ignition modual?
Nope, but I will now. How much do 02 sensors, new coil, and ignition module usually cost??
Old 10-03-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

coil, about 40-60 bux, same with O2 sensors. Use ACDELCO O2's ONLY!!!! I tend to do my tune ups in stages, starting with O2's, then going to plugs and working back thru the sytem.

If the car is a 96/97, get a replacement Delco coil, they are very good. the 95 and unders are a bit not as good, due to lower voltage. I can't comment on the Modual. it was like 10 for my last GM.

I would get my parts from Dal, or GMpartdirect(they will get you for shipping!!!) so shop around. I forget Dal's contact info. But he is a GM parts guy who sells at low prices.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Sounds good, thanks bro

Quick Reply: What all is needed for a good tune up???