LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Same old "What should I get?" questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same old "What should I get?" questions

Well, my 94 Z is well on its way to being on the road. I stopped being lazy and just finished dropping the tranny yesterday, and am now just waiting on a clutch. At that time, it CAN drive, but will need some body work. But anyway, my question is this: Whenever I deem this car "ready", as in ready to be my daily driver, I have to sell my other car. Now I can get anywhere from 3.5k to 5k for the car depending on what I sell with it, and all that money I will be left to throw at the Camaro.

Now if there is one thing I have learned from lurking these forums for the longest, it's that you should have a good idea of what your goals are for the car and build the car from top to bottom with that in mind. SO, I am looking for a car that is somewhere in the 12 second range capable at full weight, and still be friendly enough to not only drive on the street in the summer and possibly winter, but to be driven daily and somewhat reliable. I know there is always a trade-off between reliability and speed, especially when it comes to our LT1's, but I thought I'd try asking those (quite a) few people on here who know more than me what I could do with the money available.

Anyway, sorry for the long *** post and thanks for any and all help you all can give me.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

anything done to it yet? start with the basic's, make a list, price the stuff out, and have a blast!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

this is from anouther forum, so it doesn't make 100% sence.

O2 sensors. the ones before the cats, the ones after(if it has them) are fine no matter how bad they are. That package sounds like a pretty good deal. I think the intake alone is 200+, and the catback is 300+, so your getting an airfoil for free... which is good, since it is generaly considered a waste. Reasearch the 2 products and see how much they are, and perform.

Put in a 160 t-stat (not too cold, atleast from a wear and performance point), do a Throttle Body bypass(coolant thing),
intake,
catback,
PCM mail order tune(no hypertech, or chips!!)
New valve springs,
1.6 rockers,
High stall convertor,
headers,
deeper rear gears(3.73 auto, 4.10-4.56 stick),
After all that, go for a bigger cam, or a Heads(ported stocks) and cam package.
I feel thats a good list. start with the cheapest/free stuff, then work on intake/catback, and then a high stall has the biggest gain, they have been known to drop .5 tenths in the 1/4 on a intake exhuast car. Gears REALLY help you get up and moving, they are known to give a .2-.4 gain too.

Somethings generally considered a waste:
Air foil (how much power can it really add?)
Under Drive Pulley (don't reap the rewards like on a belt driven water pump)
Hypertech/chips(much better/cheaper ways to go)
Flowmaster catback(restrictive)
Bigger injectors (unless datalogging shows a very high duty cycle)
Bigger Throttle body (not needed until pushing more power)
AfterMarket Maf. (The stock Maf will support over 400 hp)

*Discuss*
Old 10-03-2006, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

if your on a budget go for a shot of nitrous. Its a simple way to gain speed when on a budget while still keeping your daily driver. That and a few bolt ons you will easily see your 12's with out sacrificing anything.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a possible list:
1- CAI
2- LT headers + catback
3- Cam + springs + rockers
4- 4.10 Rear gears
5- Clutch
6- Tune.
You may also have enough money for an aftermarket rear when the 10 bolt breaks.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

It's pretty stock, with only a K+N cold air intake. I was thinking along the lines of LT's, and good cat-back, a tune, some gears, and maybe some head's and a cam. The motor has 95k on it, but is in absolute wonderful running condition. Maybe I should invest in a rebuild and just go with whatever's left over? I was thinking of maybe a good 355 or 383, but with all said and done, I guess that might be alittle over my spending limit?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Regular

the engine as is should be just fine. I wouldn't do a rebuild until you have a heads and cam pakage.

Quick Reply: Same old "What should I get?" questions