LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

would i feel a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would i feel a difference?

if i went up to 1.6 comp cams gold rr, new springs, new lifters, and a port n polished intake?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your current lifters bad? If not, save the cash on the lifters and maybe even the polished intake and spend the money on a nice cam and dyno tune.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

well i dont know if it's a lifter, a rocker arm, or even a broken valve spring but something in my valvetrain is fucked up so i figure i might as well... i would like to do a cam but i wanna do the le2 combo and to do that i would need the rest of the supporting mods like tb, injectors, fuel pump, and a tune.. would i see a gain from just a new valve train and a tune? if so around how much?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have heard people report gains of 5-10 rwhp on mild bolt on cars with 1.6rrs so with a tune your hoping for 10-15 maybe. I would just wait until the le2 package, and when you do go le2 I would suggest long tubes.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

What is it doing to where you think a Lifter is messed up..
Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DropTopFireChKn
if i went up to 1.6 comp cams gold rr, new springs, new lifters, and a port n polished intake?

No. Been there, done exactly that.

If something is fucked up, take the valve covers off and look, stop driving it before you kill something. Then decide where to go.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

well the cars been parked since I heard a ticking noise coming from the engine... its a destinctive single click andit drove fine but got louder wid higher rpm... I never let it get past 2800rpm after the noise so I know it needs some valve train work and that's what I'm trying to decide what ta do
Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like and Exhaust leak..
Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

I'm positive its not an exhaust leak...
Old 10-05-2006, 06:18 AM
TECH Regular

I would hot lash the lifters. It may not be it, but definatly worth doing a very easy free proceedure to eliminate the thought. My car was ticking after I replaced the valve springs and the car warmed up. It coulda been there when it was cold, but I didn't notice it till I drove around the block. turned out I cold lashed the lifters too loose. New valve springs can really help the 4,000 rpms + power. mine was valve floating pretty bad. A mail order tune has been known to show 5-10 hp on mostly stock cars, and even more the more stuff the car has. here's a nice dyno graph. http://www.ws6.com/mod-9.htm beileve it if you want. I don't see a reason not to.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Regular

stay with stock lifters. the comp ones have exploded(the retainer comes loose, and the internals can come out and take the motor with.)
Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hot Lash? Someone help me out here... I just replaced my valvetrain due to a collapsed lifter, still waiting for a few more mods before i restart the car... Is it just adjusting the valve lash with the motor warmed up or what? Thanks...
Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrCadillac
A mail order tune has been known to show 5-10 hp on mostly stock cars, and even more the more stuff the car has.
And in other cases, a mail order tune has been shown to LOSE 5-25 hp/tq, with worse fuel mileage.

IMHO, the only tuning that's worth a darn is done ON a dyno, then on the street. It's the only way to tune for how YOUR car responds to mods... and they are all just a bit different.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Hot lash would be something like this. Feel free to add or correct if need be. Remove a valve cover. Start the car, if you have any excessive ticking coming from a rocker to find it I use a long extensinsion a set it on the female end on each stub until you can identify the problem(s) when you find one that is clacking then slowly start tightening it down until you hear the ticking go quite. Once you have the valve train some what quite. Start at the front and lossen each rocker nut until you hear it make the clakin sound and slowly (Slowly start tightening0 The nut until you hear it go quite this would be zero lash. Some people run them here, some people tighten them down 1/2 a turn. Always remeber that you want to be accurate when tightening these by turning them slowly. This method is only for hydraulic. Feel free to add your opinion
Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

thats a pretty good explaination. I would run atleast 1/8 turn of lash, at the very least. more like 1/4-3/4 turn. many opinions on this, but it's what ever you feel safe with. I think one has more torque, and the other has more hp.(amount of preload), but I forget which is which, or if it is even true. and one more thing, tighten them slowly!! once it stops, back off very slowly until it every so slightly clacks, and tighten slowly again till it stops, then do your preload.

Tuning: On ISSF, I have never read of a bad tune from pcmforless, but I don't dout it could happen. Just that likely 90%+ have great results, and love there tune... With that said, there are some guys out there who claim to know what they are doing, but are just screwing around, or going to aggressive. And some people who swear by there tune, and it is really garbage.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

lets say that i go ahead and install new rr, springs, and maybe lifters(if those are the problem), would i feel ant difference in my powerband, or would my car feel any different at all? and also, are the stock rockers self aligning? if so could i change them to non self aligning rr and what would be needed? i've heard that nsa rr are more stable and provide better valve control at higher rpm
Old 10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

ttft!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I noticed a big difference when I did my headers and 1.6 roller rockers with lt4 springs, night and day difference.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

what do u mean by night n day difference? good or bad?
Old 10-06-2006, 05:18 AM
TECH Regular

you need guide plates and harden push rods for NSA rockers.

I noticed a big gain in 4k rpm and up power with just a valve spring swap, with only an intake and catback. before at 4000 rpms it felt like I had thrown an anchor over and it was really holding me back.(like that GTX sludge comercal) after the valve springs it would rev way faster to the shift point. but this was an iron head engine, with 155k valve springs. the 1.6 rockers will also boost the power above 4500rpms.

I was pretty surprised at how much just valve springs helped the car.

Quick Reply: would i feel a difference?