LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

running with no coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running with no coolant

hey im storing my car for the winter and my water pump blew a lil while back. I want to add stabil to my gas tank, but it says u need to run the car for 5 mins or so to get it in the system. so i cant hold any coolant in my car, do u think i could run my car for 5 mins without any coolant just ot get the stabil in. I dont wanna have to fix the waterpump till spring cuz its not being driven, and i cant drive it anyway cuz of insurance, not to mention its cold. so do u think ill be alright running it for a couple mins with no coolant?
Old 12-31-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your alright. 5 minutes isn't bad.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not run it that long with no coolant.
Somewhere underhood is a wire you can use to trigger the fuel pump, if you had a b-body I could tell you right where to find it but I do not know the f-body well enough.

Uless someone can point you too it the alternative would be to simply turn the key on and off letting the pump go through it's 2 second prime a handful of times to get the Stabil up to the rail. I would then start it BREIFLY like 20 seconds to get the stabil down into the injectors and further circulate the fuel.

All that said a lot of wild drag cars have no cooling system and they get through the burnout and run fine so a mild motor like ours should be OK for a little while, I would just tend to try and error on the safe side when guessing how long is OK.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

The fuel pump relay is under the dead pedal on the drivers side floor board. Just pull the relay and jump the power/trigger wires and let it run for a few mins. I DEFINATLY WOULD NOT allow the car to run for more then a min with no coolant. It will heat up VERY quickly. Better a water pump in the spring then head gaskets.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldnt even risk it.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had to move it a few feet, that would be fine but I would not do ANY extended idling. Your car will be fine its not going to freeze.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know the gas will not freeze, but wont the gas go bad if i dont add the stabil? Will it screw up my fuel system or will the lines get all gunked up or something? Keep in mind this car will be sittin until around may.
I like the idea of just letthing the pump do its prime for 2 seconds, multiple times. Because i dont wanna risk messin up my engine lol i dont got money for that ish... Can anybody else chime in?
Old 12-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Default No coolant

I would just add the fuel stabilizer to the tank and leave it at that.
I've never seen fuel lines gunk up from winter storing a vehicule.
That said, i've replaced/repaired countless fuel/brake lines from corrosion due to the elements of nature.(and road salt too!)

By cycling the ignition on/off, all you are doing is pressurizing the system and not moving the fuel around that much.

And I would not run the motor without coolant for more than a minute or so.
I have seen many head gaskets and even once a warped head from running with no coolant.
The last time I saw this happen was when someone I know ,finished
re-installing an LS1 in his car. It was late night and he ran out of Dex-Cool.
But was so anxious to here the motor roar.....
Well he ran it for about 4 mins (that is what he had said at the time!)
The next day he had a real hard time getting all the air pockets in the system.
So I went to lend a hand with my spill free funnel.
After about 35 mins of idling, we noticed a puddle of dex-cool under the passengers side head.
Needles to say, the coolant was pissing out from the head to block mating surface.
So in my opinion, it is not worth the risk.

I have been storing my camaro in a semi-heated garage every winter even without fuel stabilizer and I have never had any issues.
I fill her up before storing to avoid moisture build-up the tank.
In the spring she just starts right up.
I then drive a lot in the next few days to get rid of the 4 month old fuel.

cheers and happy new year!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

just watch your gauge and make sure it dont get hot.... people are freaking paranoid.

it will run for a bit without heating up
Old 12-31-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

simple solution pull the car out side put a water house in the top of the radiator and constently pump water. crank the car and just watch the temp guage. it will take a while for it to warm up with the cap off. but dont crank the car with no coolant it will get hot really quick. and those heads want be good after about 260 degrees.they'll warp pretty quick .i dont think the prime it a few times idea will work because there is already fuel in the lines. and even if u do prime it it will not push past the fuel that's already there.if i were u i'd just discoect the fuel line from the back of the intake .let it drain into a a bucket under the car. cycle it then reconect the lines and crank the car. no rick of any kind the way. it willl cost u $4.00 for the disconect tool.it it is really simple.and u wound only haft to carnk the car momentarily for about 30 sec's or so. that's just my .02.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

i forgot to add that the temp guage will not work if there is no coolant in the system . i dont think it will work very well with warter pumpin into the system either.just drain it and then carnk it for a short time . just trian to save u some money.

Quick Reply: running with no coolant