LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise

Just before christmas (friday 22nd) I got in the car and started it up, as soon as it fired it had a strange ticking noise (my guess, a lifter). We were going to Alabama the following day and had no choice but to take the chance.
We did a 1200 mile round trip and the car drove fine without problems, the ticking only happens at start-up and quietens down after 3-4 minutes/couple of miles.

When we got back, I took the intake off and checked the lifters but visual inspection didn't reveal the culprit. After putting it all back together I noticed the #7 exhaust manifold had both bolts missing, so I then suspected that an exhaust leak was the culprit.
However, today as I was leaving work, the car struggled to start, really lumpy turning over as if the timing was way out, a bit of smoke from the tailpipe, after about 3 or 4 tries, it fired up, but was struggling to run bearly idling at around 300rpm like it was about to die and wasn't firing on all cylinders. After a couple of seconds it cleared and ran find the rest of the way home (about 9 miles, various traffic/speed).

The ticking noise is now a little bit louder than it was last week, but still goes quiet after a couple of minutes.
Sorry for the long post, anyone any ideas?, one idea I have been offered is bad spark plugs? would bad plugs cause a ticking noise that quietened down quickly?
If its a bad lifter, how do tell which one it is?. Would a leaking exhaust cause the bad starting episode today?.

Any help, advice or ideas would be greatfully appreciated.
Thanks
Sara Lou
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say a lifter issue. It will quite down after oil gets pumped up to it. Try to adjusting all of your lifters b/c you do have to adjust the rocker arms every so often in these cars.