LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replacing the stock muffler (not catback)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the stock muffler (not catback)

Hello guys, don't bash me to hard, I've used to search button but can't find what I need. I am looking to get a new muffler, but was wondering if i can just purchase a muffler to replace the stock one. Not really looking for more power, or a full catback (trying to keep the car stockish for reliability), just a slightly louder more throaty sound. Do most of the aftermarket mufflers fit in the stock location and can be directly welded up? Sorry for the ignorant questions, but i am new to f-body's The main mufflers I would be interested in are the Hooker, and the Flowmaster because I really enjoy the sound. Would these be a good choice?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

yeah,you can just replace the muffler,but that dosnt make your car more reliable.a better flowing exhaust makes it so your engine dosnt have to work as hard and make it more reliable.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a flowmaster 40 series in my trans am, almost everyone here will tell you that a flowmaster is restrictive and that it robs horses compared to others... but it sure sounds nice, deep throaty sound!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Q: Do most of the aftermarket mufflers fit in the stock location and can be directly welded up?

A: Yep, most are designed to do exactly that and when installed correctly should have zero problems. How ever it worth going to a reputable place instead of saving a few bucks, I have seen some local muffler shops that people used to save a few bucks come out looking like trash. Most all after market cat backs, as long as they are for the correct year, should be direct replacements.

Q: Sorry for the ignorant questions, but i am new to f-body's

A: Every one was at one point, becarefull what you pick up off the boards, gotta filter out a lot of b.s.

Q: The main mufflers I would be interested in are the Hooker, and the Flowmaster because I really enjoy the sound. Would these be a good choice?

A: I had a Flowmaster on my TA many years ago, sounded great I thought. Theres some websites like ls1sounds.com, you can listen to different clips of different exhaust set ups, they have LT1 vids on there I believe. But pick out which one you like best and falls in to what you want to pay.

Good luck
Old 01-07-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah, you can do that. I put a magnaflow, muffler only on my sisters and it sounds real nice. I just did a cutout on mine. I heard a flowmaster 40 in person and I really liked it also.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

On my 98 Formula, I went from a flowmaster muffler in place of the stocker to a Magnaflow Cat Back. I thought that the flows were better sounding w/ stock Manifolds IMO. I dont know about all the flow though.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Ive got a flowmaster 80 in place of my stock muffler and it sounds damn good

you have to add a couple of " of pipe to the driver side tail pipe since the flowmaster is a little smaller than a stock muffler
Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

The previous owner put a Flowmaster on mine, and it was raspy. I put LT Headers, Y-pipe, and a Bullet on it.
Are you trying to keep the Stock look?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I sortave want to keep it sock looking with a few peices here and that, but sure don't wann rice it out. I may be one of the few but I really like the square tips, and if I changed them I would get the same but crome.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 91 has a Flowy on it and I really liked it. My LT1 has a SLP Dual-Dual and I really like it as well. Any muffler will fit, for an F-Body, you just might have to get an adapter for some. Adapter as in the inlet to fit the stock exhaust. Most of the time they have a few different models to fit different sizes.

Square tips are for the Camaro and Vette, if you don't care about keeping things "correct". Unless you have a Camaro, then NM *whistles as he walks away*
Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Wud just the muffler give him better flow along with sound. Better than stock at least? As for cat backs its a muffler form the cat and tips just bigger pipping correct? Im looking to kinda do the same thing before I build my motor( not any time soon)
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by radioren
Wud just the muffler give him better flow along with sound. Better than stock at least? As for cat backs its a muffler form the cat and tips just bigger pipping correct? Im looking to kinda do the same thing before I build my motor( not any time soon)
Catbacks are literally from the cat-back. It connects right after the stock cat to the tips. Usually they have 3inch piping, so it's bigger.
A replacement muffler itself will make it louder but barely any HP. The gain comes from larger piping and smoother bends.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

He should put 2 stock looking tips in it to make it appear stock, and put a Bullet as his Catback..
Old 01-08-2007, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Ralls, Yeah I figured its the pipping (mandrel bends,bigger etc) along with the muffler that gives the boost in performance. Im looking at it from my stand point. With bolt ons done without spending huge amounts and remaining emissions legal that would be best way.

Quick Reply: Replacing the stock muffler (not catback)