LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power steering reservior relocation???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering reservior relocation???

Has anyone relocated the power steering reservoir? I was thinking about somehow putting it in the parking light area. Does the reservoir HAVE to be above the power steering pump? Also does it have to stay up right?

Thnx David
Old 01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Launching!

I think you can only go level with the resivor. Im not shure you can go below the pump. you know gravity and all. I dont know about your's but my resivor leaks a little. so i can imagine that if it was sideways it would leak. you can always try and tell us the outcome.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm... if you were crafty enough, you could create a new canister that would fit in other placesand just run new lines. Yea, gravity is a bitch, I dont think it will work out if you put the resevoir below the pump but, I'm not sure about that. I never even thought about relocating that until I read this... so I just looked at some pictures and thought about. Damn, you do that, the wire mod, and the fuel line mod and you'd be well on your way to cleaning up the engine bay alot.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Would be a nice thing to clean up the bay....
Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Launching!

would be nice if we could move our alternator down to where the ac is and not loose power steering. I saw a kit that lets you keep the power steering, but it was ugly as ****.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Launching!

I say lose the Air Conditioning and Power Steering! None are on my car cause i am running Mickey Thompson DR on the rear and Skinnies on the front. They are not necessary, thats just my 2 cents worth!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_hunted
I think you can only go level with the resivor. Im not shure you can go below the pump. you know gravity and all. I dont know about your's but my resivor leaks a little. so i can imagine that if it was sideways it would leak. you can always try and tell us the outcome.

I talked to one of my really good LT1 guru buddies and he said the pump does have some suction but the reservior needs to be above the pump. And since it works like that the reservior is slightly vented with the cap which is why a lot of them leak... He said when he installed an LT1 in a S-10 he had the reservior below the pump and fluid burst everywhere...

He said "in theory" for the pump to beable to suck the fluid properly from below the pump the reservior would have to be completely sealed off but this is "in theory" and more then likely would not work ...lol

I want to keep my A/C and power steering since my car is a fast street/show car. If I get rid of everything then I will be a slow drag car. For someone who has power steering but does not have A/c it wouldn't be to hard to get an aftermarket reservior and stick it where the "A/C canister thing" is but that won't work for me...
Old 01-17-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they arnt suppose to leak i just bought a new cap for mine to fix that problem...
Old 01-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Launching!

Or you put too much fluid in it?