LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

red line?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red line?

can LT1's safely rev any higher than the stock 5800 rpms? if they can, does it help any to raise it?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
can LT1's safely rev any higher than the stock 5800 rpms? if they can, does it help any to raise it?
Sure, but a stock setup doesn't make much power over 6K.

As people mod their cars and see their powerbands change, they tend to shift
higher and higher. I set mine at 6375rpm, I don't think going much higher is a good idea.
Spun bearings are no fun at all. (Although, to be fair there are a few people doing it ...
and only a portion of them are now rebuilding their engines because of it)

With a '93, you raise shift points with a governor kit (weights/springs in the transmission)
You raise the rev limiter in the ECM
(Lucky for us, the chips come out easy and you can order a custom one to replace it)
fastchip.com, madz28.com, pcmforless.com

Here's a dyno graph of mine when it had basic bolt ons. (Catback, K&N, high-flow cat)
Note where peak HP occures, and how it drops off.
You wouldn't want to rev much higher there.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...51_13_full.jpg

Compare that to this one (taken just after my heads/cam install, before we got a chance to tune it)
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...51_22_full.jpg
Notice peak HP occurs later, thus the desire for higher shift point.

[I really need to dyno it again, now that she is tuned and running much better]

Last edited by James Montigny; 02-10-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Yes you can safely rev higher than 5800 rpm's but unless you have a cam or reason to rev higher you dont need to. I had my car programmed by MADZ28.com and he raised up my shift points a little . I have heard of people reving them up to 6800 rpm's but I would'nt advise it. It seems like when people start going past 6500 - 6600 they start breaking stuff. The stock bottom end on the Lt1 usually cant handle much past that.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks guys. i can change the rev limit on my chip myself very easily, but i would have to pull the trans to change the springs because of where it is located in the Falcon. but i dont see a need if u guys think its not makin more power up higher. mines completely stock besides full exhaust with flowmasters, so i doubt it could use it.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

ok thanks guys. i can change the rev limit on my chip myself very easily, but i would have to pull the trans to change the springs because of where it is located in the Falcon. but i dont see a need if u guys think its not makin more power up higher. mines completely stock besides full exhaust with flowmasters, so i doubt it could use it.
Yup, probably not going to help you at the moment.
If you do end up modding it more, you will want to revisit it later.

You don't have to drop the tranny completely, but I usually drop the crossmember and let the tranny come down a few inches to make it
easier to get that governor out.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

i just thought of something. when i race in the 1/8 mile, i have to shift into 3rd like a half of a second before the finish line. if i could wind out 2nd a little longer i could cross the line in 2nd and save a shift down into lower rpms. maybe this would be helpful, u think?
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

i just thought of something. when i race in the 1/8 mile, i have to shift into 3rd like a half of a second before the finish line. if i could wind out 2nd a little longer i could cross the line in 2nd and save a shift down into lower rpms. maybe this would be helpful, u think?
Maybe

http://www.bgsoflex.com/shifter.html
Old 02-11-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah rpm kills stock shortblocks it seems. I have had mine to at least 6900 a couple times. Smart? probably not, but wanted to see where power dropped off. The cam and heads are the key players in the rpm power. I remember with my stock cam that it really sucked up in the 5700 rpm area.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

ok. so say i did raise the cut off to around 6000, the trans is still gonn shift at 5800 untill i change the weights and springs right? what if i shift manually

Quick Reply: red line?